OT How does GMaps know elevation?

Barometric altimeters aren't that great either. I haven't flown in years so the procedure might have changed but airports would have their elevation prominently marked. Part of the preflight was setting the altimeter to match.

Reply to
rbowman

That?s because air pressure changes. Laser height measuring from satellites and planes for mapping works fine and is a lot more accurate than GPS.

Reply to
Swer

GPS doesn't use lasers. The receiver triangulates signals from multiple satellites to determine x, y and z coordinates of the receiver.

The z coordinate (altitude) is not very accurate

Scott Lurndal

Why is laser measuring much more accurate than GPS? They both use light and clocks. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I know GPS doesn't use lasers. It uses radio waves which are light and move the same speed as lasers. What is it about using lasers that makes them more accurate? Eric

Reply to
etpm

Because the laser is the most accurate way to measure things.

GPS doesn't. It used radio waves.

Yes.

Reply to
Swer

It's a direct ping from the satellite or plane with the laser. With GPS its continuous radio waves with varying propagation effects. That's why you need more than one visible satellite with GPS.

Reply to
Swer

A GPS receiver extrapolates from the satellite constellation. The closer to the horizon the birds are and the more angular distance separating them, the better it works. In cities or mountainous terrain the view of the sky can be limited so it has to work with those overhead. It has nothing to do with light unless you have an extremely loose definition of the spectrum.

With a laser you're bouncing the beam off an object.

Reply to
rbowman

Wavelength.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

Did your mummy say "Because I said so!" a lot?

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

Nope, it's a laser pulse from the plane or satellite, travel time measured.

GPS is continuous transmission with digital encoding on that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Mike Coon wrote

Nope, both mum and dad quickly worked out that doesn't work with me.

I still remember the mega stoush that happened when I refused to eat something like spinach. She never tried that again.

Reply to
Swer