OT How does GMaps know elevation? - Page 2

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3094088

Google does receive user input. OSM (Open Street Map) depends on user
input to a great extent although some information comes from publicly
available data like TIGER/Line in the US. Especially in Europe it can be
very accurate.

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?

This does not list "incorrect local terrain height" and also it is a
manual process for correcting errors.  There is no such thing as a
feature in Google Maps that tracks your GPS position and reports it
back to Google for inclusion in the maps.  The road information comes
from offcial (and their own) surveys, it is not like a road will be added
to the map when one or more Google Maps users cross a field somewhere.

And similarly, the local terrain height is not influenced by the height
indicated by users when they use Google Maps.

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?

If the field happens to be a new development?

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?

Streets are shown in new developments even when they not yet have been
laid, but have been submitted as planned.

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?
In alt.home.repair, on 31 Jul 2019 17:30:36 GMT, Rob

How does GMaps get updates to street maps.

Does it infer the streets from computer analysing the sat view?

Or do municiplities send it updates when they construct new streets?

In some places, they show paths between houses with a dotted line?   Who
tells GMaps about the paths?   If you choose Walking, it will route you
over the path, but no other method of travel will go that way.

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?

The latter.
In regions with new streets or buildings you can see streets on the
streetview and bare land in the sat view.

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?

Here they get it from the operation that is doing the new streets.

That wouldn't give them the street names.

Not send google so much as update their database and google accesses those.
We have seen it take a while before the google map is updated with new ones.
This is one example.
https://www.google.com/maps/@-34.2703494,146.0873386,16.33z
Tucker and Gillmartin are now well past Haines with new houses being
built on the new bits of Tucker and Gillmartin now.

With ours they are on the council maps, what you call municipalitys.

Ours work fine for bicycles but google doesn't use them for bikes.

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?

I guess it depends on the quality of your local database.
Here we see new streets and quarters on Google Maps that do not yet
exist in reality (but have been planned and will be built).

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?

The local database is fine, it just takes google a long time to use the
updates.

That not necessarily due to the quality of the local database.

We saw the google car show up again here almost 18 months
ago, after it had been here previously more than 10 years
previously. The second time they only zoomed thru some
of the main streets in town and didn?t even bother to
visit the new roads and houses.

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?

It likely is all coincidence.  They fetch the info once every so
many years, and it could include very recent information or it could
take several years.

This is not at all related to it.  The google car does not map the
streets, it collects data and pictures.

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?

Why would they do it so slowly ?

And the google maps don?t show the new ones in bursts like that.

Duh.

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?

I do a lot of work with local GIS departments and the quality is
extremely variable. Some are on top of it and others are completely out
of their depth. At least one uploads their edits to ESRI and not Google.
Google puts their dispatch center in the wrong place so they don't
exactly trust them.

There are several big players like HERE (formerly NavTeq) and TeleAtlas.
Licensing their data isn't cheap and depends on how frequently you want
it updated. TIGER/Line is the US Census Department and the data is free
but the update cycle is slow. It's interesting to take the data for the
same area from several different sources, overlay it, and see where it
differs.

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?

If you click on the GMaps Menu icon (3 line "hamburger" on top left)
there is a choice called "Terrain"

While not a true USGS topo map, you get the idea.

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 30 Jul 2019 15:24:37 -0400,

Wow.  I saw that years ago but I guess I forgot.

And that was just what I meant, a topographical map already ;inked to to
the street map.

I guess that answers the question.

That would make sense, and would be a lot easier than a lot of the
things they do.

Did you all know that besides the Google Car, there is now the Google
Man, who wears the camera a couple feet above his head, and they have
streetview pictures of some places one can only walk.

I think once I saw google pictures from a bicycle.

Thanks, all.

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?
Another great discovery when clicking on the hamburger.

It has a line called streetview.

clicking that turns on all the streetview lines and dots, so that you
don't have to move Pegman each time you want to see one.  You don't have
to use Pegman at all, just click on the location, and after you close
that window, the map with all streetview lines and dots will still be
there.

Did you all know that when a streetview on a line is open and there is
an arrow superimposed on the pavement, you can click on the arrow and
the next circular picture will be displayed, and maybe you can skip
ahead 2 or 3 pictures if you position the arrow farther away.  This is
good when you're looking for the perfect view or something specific.

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 30 Jul 2019 19:17:45 -0400, micky

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?

They even use sheep these days:

https://visitfaroeislands.com/sheepview360/thanks-sheep-view-faroe-islands-now-google-street-view/
--
RoRo

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 31 Jul 2019 21:05:01 +0200, Robert Roland

Wow.  That's good.  They go slowly so the pictures won't be blurred.

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?

They go pretty fast when the Faroe Islanders are trying to fuck them.

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?
That would be Utah!

Where the men are men, and the sheep are all nervous.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: OT How does GMaps know elevation?

Including inside some malls and department stores. I forget where I saw
that.

Site Timeline