OT - Blue gas ?

So, what gas ionises with an intense and very 'clean' blue light ? A few of these lamps have sprung up around my town. A couple light up some pieces of art school stainles steel 'sculpture' in a local park. I hadn't taken too much notice of them, until another example appeared on the top of a tall pole, illuminating the vehicle compound of a premises on the same business park as my wife's place is.

The lamp itself looks like a typical high pressure sodium type - basically tubular with a bulge in the middle. But the light it gives off is an extremely intense blue. What's in there, and what is the rationale behind illuminating a compound with this colour ? Seems to chase off the shadows pretty good, but I wouldn't have thought that it suited CCTV very well ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"Arfa Daily" wrote in news:tvPvn.654110$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe25.ams:

xenon? the xenon lamps for autos have a bluish tint. and the extra UV might make a difference for the CCTV.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It's suppose to prevent suicides and crime:

Maybe that's why I never committed any crimes while under a black light. Or, maybe I was too stoned to do anything. Dunno.

Unfortunately, I can't determine what type of lighting is used. I don't think it's LED or CFL but it's possible. It might also be a mercury vapor arc lamp which belches lots of blue and UV. Google and Bing won't tell me.

If you're into blue, here's a mess of nature photos in blue that are suppose to be relaxing:

It was Kmart that had a highly irritating "blue light special" and BlueLight internet dialup service. Yech:

Maybe it's Kmart coming back from the near dead?

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

of

of

According to Brighton couincil , blue light in bogs stops junkies jacking up, they can't find a vein.

N_Cook

Is the capsule or the glass blue? Could be just a xenon HID with a blue coating. Automotive HID lamps can look bluish maybe around

8000k without any coating.
Reply to
Meat Plow

This one is a possibility, but all other suggestions / guesses are basically a "no". The lamp is definitely the sort of shape shown on this website, and looking at their colour chart, I would estimate the colour temp of the lamps in question to be around 6000k. Which is interesting, because this seems to put them into the 'custom' bracket, normal stockers running out at the blue-y end of white, which is the range of colour temps that we tend to see these lamps in, in warehouses and suchlike.

So I wonder why they would be using a 'custom' (read expensive ?) lamp like this for illuminating a vehicle compound ? I can understand the ones lighting the stainless steel sculptures, as I guess this is what the artist wanted.

Just so that everyone understands the sort of colour intensity we're talking here, the light is not white tending towards blue - like the HID headlamp suggestions made. Nor is it wishy washy blue-filtered white like you used to see on emergency vehicles when they had blue plastic domes over white xenon flash tubes. It's not the sort of intense blue that your eyes sometimes have difficulty focusing on (we had a factory in our town that had its name on the roof using internally lit blue plastic letters, and it was almost unreadable). This light is of the same sort of general hue and intensity, as the high visibility blue LEDs that they are now using on emergency vehicles. But it is definitely not LED based - you can clearly see the dischage tube. It is very 'clean' light, easy to look at. If you imagine the sort of light that you get from the pale lemon high pressure sodium discharge lamps, and then think blue instead, that's about as close a description as I can do.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Read this Wiki article.

Seems there are all sorts of different Halide combinations that affect color.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I blundered onto this page of such lights:

Each includes a color spectra graphs. Most are made to belch multiple colors trying to simulate white daylight. However, this one:

shows a very blue/UV spectra. The bulb is for medical purposes, not street lighting. However, it's the closest I could find to blue:

It is based on the NC400-64 blue coloured indium lamp, but the dose chemistry has been modified to include the halides of gallium and lithium. Gallium in particular adds a strong blue and several UV peaks in the spectrum.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I've heard of the Bilirubin treatment with special light somewhere. Probably on Discovery Health. What Arf is talking about most likely is a special purpose Halide mixture. Maybe they are testing them in his area? Halide arcs have been around for a long time so it really isn't going to be extra super special expensive for a designer color. Halides are used at every sports arena known to man where night time events occur and also most every indoor hydroponics marijuana grower:)

Sylvainia (Osram) sells an 18,000 watt, 225 volt, 6000k double ended Halide for $4100. Bet that bitch is bright....heh.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Good links, and also Meat's Wiki one. It's a far more interesting subject than I had given it credit for ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

If it's in a public park, why not check with your local park district or whoever is in charge? They should know just what type of lights they are, or at least who to ask.

law!!
http://home.comcast.net/~andyross
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann