OT A drone-mounted chainsaw, what could possibly go wrong?

"A drone-mounted chainsaw, what could possibly go wrong?"

m=default-widget

> Good for another episode of some horror movie.

I you're talking about removing hard-to-get tree branches that you can't re ach, then a remote-controlled might be good, but mechanically actuated cutt ing is still like all of the rest of the cromagnon talk you see about just TOTALLY out-of-date stuff, here.

Instead of using a chain saw, you might be able to use something called a M ASER which emits a concentrated beam of microwave energy. So its different from a laser which emits a highly concentrated beam of light that can help with cutting, joining, fashioning, etc...

Reply to
bruce2bowser

My MASER is in the shop, but a drone chainsaw reminds me of the part in the Superman movie from arounnd 1970. Lois is falls or is pushed off the edge of a tall building and she's falling, of course, and Superman swoops over, grabs her, and says, "Don't worry. I've got you." Lois looks around and says "Who's got you!"

When the chain saw chain hits the branch, the chainsaw/drone will be flung forward before it can cut anything. I think that applies to the one in the url above, and nothing in it shows that they actually cut anything. To have a chain saw fixed in position enought to cut, you'd need a drone the size of a small car. Maybe a big tree service could afford one. They'd need a big flatbed truck to carry it.

Reply to
Micky

Nah, you just have the drone wrap some det cord around the branch and then set it off from a safe distance.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Strange how someone with enough knowledge to modify/construct and balance a drone large enough to lift a chain saw wouldn't understand this.

At best if the chain were removed it would make a terrifying prop or gag to scare the beejeezus out of someone.

Reply to
ohger1s

Per snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

My impression was that their goal was to make an entertaining video and not an actually-functional tree-trimming device.

--
Pete Cresswell
Reply to

Sigh. Breaking off icicles and decapitating snow men is easy. The motor doesn't even need to be running. Simple inertial will do the job.

However, if one tried to cut a limb or trunk with the saw, with nothing holding onto the saw, it will immediately be launched in the direction of the tree. It could be done by jamming the log between the chain and the felling dog (spikes), but maneuvering the octocopter to provide the rotating motion necessary to complete the cut is in my never humble opinion extremely difficult. If you disagree, try suspending a chain saw from a collection of strings, as with a puppet, and try it yourself. The experience should be similar to the octocopter at much lower cost.

Incidentally, I looked up the load capacity of a similar octocopter and found that it will lift 50 lbs, which is well above the weight of a similar small chain saw.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com