Onkyo HDMI board cooling

Hi, may I ask for some advice? I have an Onkyo 5009 AV Reciever with the ve
ry common problem of overheating HDMI board. You can see it just under the
grill for cooling in the case. I have an infrared heat sensitive camera and
 discovered there are several small ic's that get very hot very quickly- i.
e. 70-80c. The ICs are very small, 10mmx10mm up to 10mmx16mm and thereabout
s but there is space of about an inch above so room for a heat sink maybe?
What would you chose to do? Fit heat sinks to those chips(if there are any
small enough) or fit fans directly above the board? I'd really welcome your
 advice.?

Steve

Re: Onkyo HDMI board cooling
very common problem of overheating HDMI board. You can see it just under th
e grill for cooling in the case. I have an infrared heat sensitive camera a
nd discovered there are several small ic's that get very hot very quickly-
i.e. 70-80c. The ICs are very small, 10mmx10mm up to 10mmx16mm and thereabo
uts but there is space of about an inch above so room for a heat sink maybe
? What would you chose to do? Fit heat sinks to those chips(if there are an
y small enough) or fit fans directly above the board? I'd really welcome yo
ur advice.?

The ICs can safely run at those temps, but the cooler they run, the longer
they should last theoretically.  I wouldn't worry about it unless that rece
iver is known to have failures on that board.

A surprisingly small amount of airflow will reduce the temps more than you
might expect.  A small fan could cool the whole board at once. I have a col
lection of small stick-on heatsinks that were used on plasma scan ICs that
I keep for projects.  A tiny drop of heat sink compound and a bit of clear
RTV on the corners will locate the heat sinks down.

Re: Onkyo HDMI board cooling

WARNING: Be exceedingly cautious with RTV silicon in any electronic application! Conventional materials use Acetic Acid as the catalyst/curing agent, and releases a good deal of it during the process. Acetic Acid attacks copper and many other metals.

Use an ELECTRONIC (Neutral Cure) RTV.

https://www.alliedelec.com/gc-electronics-19-155/70159837/?mkwid=srzNgXKQF&pcrid30%980760979&gclid=Cj0KCQjw--DLBRCNARIsAFIwR25fLPHRGK1Ekfxi-TwPx_i68BY5GgpTF--jqXtQxu32NH3k6vQjp3EaAicDEALw_wcB

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: Onkyo HDMI board cooling
very common problem of overheating HDMI board. You can see it just under th
e grill for cooling in the case. I have an infrared heat sensitive camera a
nd discovered there are several small ic's that get very hot very quickly-
i.e. 70-80c. The ICs are very small, 10mmx10mm up to 10mmx16mm and thereabo
uts but there is space of about an inch above so room for a heat sink maybe
? What would you chose to do? Fit heat sinks to those chips(if there are an
y small enough) or fit fans directly above the board? I'd really welcome yo
ur advice.?

It's the larger BGA chips that suffer from the heat. Recent vintage Onkyo's
 are notorious for this.

Site Timeline