ON Semiconductor

Hi, I'm hoping that someone out there will have some info on an ON Semiconductor 5105FA

Reply to
Roger

Not exactly what you were asking: If you inscribe "5105" in the search box, you'll get a list of other possible matches.

It would be very helpful if you would describe the package, application, and provide a photo. I don't think you're reading the part number or manufacturer correctly.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

Basic information:

What is it? What is it from? What does it do? What does it look like?

Example: The ON datasheet number for a 2N3772 NPN power transistor is: MJ15022. Their part number is: MJ15024G.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

It's on a dashboard PCB from a Lincon Navigator, it seems to be a one of a identical pair of switchers driving a transformer primary. Here's an identical one to mine:

Thanks.

Reply to
Roger

Yes, sorry. See other post.

Thanks.

Reply to
Roger

Board markings indicate a bipolar transistor.

I'm guessing ~TIP31B, based on the other body marking.

CQ may indicate an automotive grade.

RL

Reply to
legg

Well, that certainly is a readable ON Semi part number. That package is a TO-220: with a "style 1" pinout where the silk screened ECB suggest a bipolar power transistor. The problem is that searching the ON Semi web pile yields a clock generator and a tiny SOT-23 MOSFET, neither of which is available in a TO-220 style case. There is such a thing as a 2N5105, but it's an ancient low power JFET in a small TO-72 can.

Dead end, I guess. Back in the stone age, I would have taken the possibly matching device, put it on a transistor curve tracer, and tried to deduce the device characteristics. There daze, there are so many different transistors, that such an exercise would probably be futile. I suggest you try to find a repair shop that refurbishes automotive electronics. or buy something from your neighborhood chop shop (used auto parts dealer).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I've been down that road myself before I asked here. I de-soldered the transistor that appeared undamaged to see if it would help me guess at a replacement and the device turned out to be an np diode - the base emmiter junction is no longer with us.

Thanks for your efforts.

Reply to
Roger

I've hit a blank everywhere else, so a suck-it-and-see lucky guess substitution attempt is my next move. I've got some TIP31Bs - I'll let you know if your guess wins ;-)

Cheers.

Reply to
Roger