Old Garmin handheld GPS, battery problem

It seems the plastic housing has deformed to slightly oval tubes or
something, but no rechargeable AA size batteries (2x2) comfortably slide
in and out. Had to cut in from the side to make an access point to lever
out the 2 deeper AAs, wedged in ther, no corrossion , just lack of
freeboard. Any ideas how to enlarge the bores a bit, no engineering
reamer available. Those silly sandpaper cylinders on a rubber cylinder
"mandrel" for "Dremmels" would do the job if there was a way to extend
the shaft. I'll try the core of a "choc block" connector as a coupler,
but any other ideas?

Re: Old Garmin handheld GPS, battery problem

Strip the insulation off the batteries so they fit?

Mike.

Re: Old Garmin handheld GPS, battery problem

Even after shrinking on , its very thin.
Don't tell any mechanical engineer. A core of a choc-bloc, 10A?,
is just right to join 3/32" shafts together. Luckily I save worn down
"dremmel" grinding discs for when I need to cut the narrow edge of a
slot in steel plate. So using one of them, a bit smaller than the bores
of the GPS, did a great job of material removal to depth, not very
pretty and probably not very concentric. Will tidy up with one of those
sandpaper cylinder things hot melt glued o nthe end of a hotmelt glue
stick , manually turning and sliding.

Re: Old Garmin handheld GPS, battery problem
Because of the off-axis coupler, I had to wrap 8 turns of 1mm copper
wire around non-protruding side of the couple, and grind the screws down
to grub screws, to balance things up a bit

Re: Old Garmin handheld GPS, battery problem

I'm not sure if it's "deformed".

I have a Garmin, sort of slender and long, and I've had some trouble with
rechargeables in there.  The battery cover has a thing in the middle that
you twist to lock it closed.  That has been a tight fit.  I seem to recall
trying the thing with alkaline AAs, and it was easier to close that cover.

Michael

Re: Old Garmin handheld GPS, battery problem

The closers are Dzus Camlock. Perhaps deliberately undersized bores so
as to lock you in to buying Garmin undersize AA batteries.
If you are forcing home the closer , then you will have the same problem
of the lower cells jammed in the bore. As the moulding around the bores
is highly asymetric, perhaps the plastic releives over time and bends,
anyway my "reaming" has done the trick, crude but effective, GPS still
works BTW

Re: Old Garmin handheld GPS, battery problem

You're lucky! My admittedly old (1997) Garmin GPS-II+ screen became
totally unreadable (though the rest of it worked) years ago.

Mike.

Re: Old Garmin handheld GPS, battery problem
This is a GPS 12

Re: Old Garmin handheld GPS, battery problem

http://www.mcmaster.com/#grinding-bits/12%ed2ml

such bits as metal grinding carbides are essential for rust maintenance.

Re: Old Garmin handheld GPS, battery problem

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/970/battery-holders/1.html

Site Timeline