(Off Topic) Electronics Magazines? What's out there?

Hello Group,

I've been wondering what electronics magazines are out there these days. I know about Nuts'n'Volts and Circuit Cellar. And it seems that Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, and Electronics Now, that I used to read when I was in high school, have vanished. Is there anything good out there these days besides the afore mentioned titles?

--
Daniel Rudy

Email address has been base64 encoded to reduce spam
Decode email address using b64decode or uudecode -m
Reply to
Daniel Rudy

MAKE: is not, strictly speaking, an electronics magazine, but it has electronics projects. You should be warned that its editors have little real technical knowledge and refuse to acknowledge or correct errors.

Heck, I'm old enough to remember "Electronics World" -- and I still miss it. It was the only general-circulation electronics magazine that could arguably be said to be aimed at professionals. (There was also "Electronics", which was before my time.)

The decline of electronics magazines seems to have been caused by the falling interest in electronics as a hobby, and by the decline of the US as a major manufacturer of electronic products. The fact that most electronic products have become so complex (and cheap to manufacture overseas) that you can no longer buy kits (Heath, Allied, Lafayette) doesn't help, either.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Oh come now! Surely you jest. Electronics Magazine (McGraw Hill) had a number of relatively recent incarnations, and has been read by everyone who has ever handled a slide rule.

Michael

Reply to
msg

it.

arguably

which

I have back issues from the late '40s and early '50s, but I don't remember it as a young'un. (I'm 61.)

And please... Don't call me surely.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Everyday Practical Electronics is good, and a web download subscription is only $20 a year.

do_not_spam_me

Well, the industry has moved away from general purpose magazines and into specialty niches. There are also a rather large number of trade journals, which are too numerous to list. It would be helpful if you specify what area of electonics you're interested in reading.

For entertainment, here are some of my magazine reading list with some URL's:

Electronic Design

EDN
RF Design
MRT
QST
QEX
Make
Machine Design
Home Power
Missing Critical
CED
IEEE Spectrum
Various IEEE publications and procedings. etc... and a mess of obscure tade journals covering CATV, wireless, computahs, politix, etc. I get some 2nd hand from various employees. My guess is about 50+ magazines per month.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I read Electronics Magazine religiously during the 1970's. It was started by McGraw-Hill in the 1930's. It was bought by Penton Publishing in the 1960's and disappeared in 1995.

I'm 60.8 and still use a slip stick: