Of all the stupid things . . . .

I have one of those LCD monitors that can be flipped 90 degrees, though I've yet to try it. That would be a start, sideways isn't as bad as upside down.

A tablet wouldn't know which way it's oriented, so long as you lock the screen for one direction.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

The situation caught me off guard and I wasn't prepared. I also assumed that she couldn't hear me laugh in the pay phone booth. I was wrong.

At some point in the future, I ended up with an identical CDROM drive with the caddy thing. By that time, they were totally obsolete and nobody wanted them. I kept one on the shelf as a reminder to keep my big mouth shut.

Incidentally, the original 1X CDROM drive cost me about $150 in

1985(?). The only data CD that we had available was something like "World Statistics" which cost about $100. Times and prices have changed somewhat.

Nope. Like most small towns, Santa Cruz CA is ruled by a few families. She was the matriarch of one of those influential families. To them, I was a mere "tradesman", who should not be tolerated, and are considered disposable. I lost quite a bit of potential future business from well paying clients that day. Oddly, I still do work for 2 of the accountants who worked in that office, although both are now retired.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

I'll add that if you run IRFANVIEW as your image viewer, with the plugins, you can open a PDF, rotate the pages, and save the PDF rotated.

I also use Foxit Reader; but that sucker's bloating up like a beached whale in August in Florida ...

RwP

Reply to
Ralph Phillips

IRFANVIEW can view PDF files??????? That's a new one on me.

I have IRFANVIEW installed, for viewing images, but I dont use it too much. I prefer Acdsee. Mostly because IRFANVIEW always forces small images to fit the screen as a default, and small images look like crap when they expanded. So I have to repeatedly resize each and every image to it's ACTUAL size. That gets real tiring. Acdsee shows the images at their actual size, unless the image is larger than my screen, in which t fits the image to the screen. I dont have to keep adjusting the viewed image size, it just views automatically. Because of that, IRFANVIEW is NOT my default viewer.

FOXIT Reader was once a decent PDF viewer. I used it for several years. A few months ago, I put a larger hard drive in my laptop. Rather than image my setup from the smaller drive, I decided to just reinstall XP from scratch. I was traveling to a destination, and someone had given me a PDF map. I pulled over at a wayside to view it, when I realized that I did not have a PDF viewer installed.

So, I drive to the nearest restaurant that had WIFI, and googled "PDF Viewer". The first one that popped up was Foxit. I was in a hurry and did not have time to piss around. I just wanted to view that PDF map. I installed Foxit reader, and what I saw was so bloated and filled with complicated crap that I wanted no part of it. (And if I recall, it was also full of advertising). I did manage to view my map though. But a few days later, when I was not in a hurry, I again opened that miserable bloated piece of shit, and looked at it. It took me less than

5 minutes to remove it from my computer, and install PDF-Xchange. I thought Adobe's reader was bad, until I tried the latest Foxit. (It's worse). I would not recommend Foxit to anyone.....
Reply to
oldschool

Here's a nice trick if you are still using XP. (also works in Vista)

Get into Windows Explorer and set it to show hidden/system files. Now go find the executable for each of your viewers or aything where you have a choice off different programs to open. Right click the executable and hit "Desktop Create Shortcut.

Drag those shortcuts into the \sendto directory, which will be under your username in Documents and Settings.

Now when you right click a file you can force it to any of the programs at will and not change the file association.

I tried it in Win7 and it gave me all kinds of hell with this access denied. Whose PC is this anyway ? I no longer have Win7.

Reply to
jurb6006

Two things - 1) It's in the plugins, which is a separate download, to view PDF files. I use it quite routinely when W/Os I do for companies as a "contingent work force provider" are required to be JPGs not my standard PDFs. This will also allow you to open a PDF, save it as a JPG, PNG, or what not; and open a TIF, JPG, PNG, whatnot and ... save it as a PDF.

2) Ahem. View --> Display Options --> Fit only big images to display window. Your complaint is solved. (What? Been like that since version 2.sumpin', and I'm currently using 4.4 .)

Not saying ACDSee is any worse, mind you! It might be fantstically better. But Irfanview has been my go-to of choice since, well, the 90's at least. At least partly due to how powerful it is with its filtering (which is required less and less; my current GE point/n/click does a good enough job I don't have to fix the images anymore.)

RwP

Reply to
Ralph Phillips