Of all the stupid things . . . .

While looking at some online manuals, I downloaded a .PDF manual that's
upside down.....

What the hell am I supposed to do, stand on my head to read it?

I have the software to flip graphics, but I dont have the slightest clue
how to flip a PDF file.

Dont people check this stuff before they post it?

(No, I dont have a printer. I read everything on screen, so I have never
seen the need to waste paper or own a printer).

I guess I'll have to take this one to a print shop if I want to read it.

Re: Of all the stupid things . . . .

I guess you can turn your monitor upside down!

Jon

Re: Of all the stupid things . . . .

I have one of those LCD monitors that can be flipped 90 degrees, though
I've yet to try it.  That would be a start, sideways isn't as bad as
upside down.

A tablet wouldn't know which way it's oriented, so long as you lock the
screen for one direction.

   Michael

Of all the stupid things . . . .
Not to spoon feed ya, but most
recent versions of Adobe Acrobat
reader should have a rotate
function.  Ctrl+R, and equivalent
command on Macs.

Re: Of all the stupid things . . . .

There is a reason why he likes tube equipment.

I had my oscilloscope open once to fix a problem and on a whim I decided to
swap the connections for the horizontal sweep.  Don't know why, I just did.
Now I'm very used to it.  If I were to want to share any photographs of
traces I would have to reverse the image for anyone else to look at... not
that it would be likely this is needed.

--

Rick C

Re: Of all the stupid things . . . .

Yes, that would work.  The suggestion to turn your monitor upside down
is also good.  If you have a mirror or two, you could flip the image
with them.  Failing that, you could have your eyeballs surgically
inverted.

It's almost impossible on my PDF viewer.  I can either drop a menu by
clicking on some stupid icon which might look something like a dog eared
piece of paper and then clicking on the words "rotate right" or "rotate
left".  Why did they make it so obscure and why did they give me too
many choices? Probably programmed by damn kids who have no respect for
their elders, that's why.

Then, to add to the confusion, I can rotate images without the menu by
pressing on the Ctrl key and the right arrow key OR pressing on the Ctrl
key and the LEFT arrow key.  Whew!!

What else would you expect with today's failing education system and the
"everyone gets a trophy" attitude?  They're just raising kids to be
selfish and idiotic.

That works, too.

Re: Of all the stupid things . . . .

I didn't think of that.  But you'll have to get the person at the print shop
to make sure the copies are made upside down or it will just be the same
problem.

--

Rick C

Re: Of all the stupid things . . . .

Even if the print shop screws up and the pages are printed upside down,
the OP still has another choice. He could place the pages on a small
table and move the chair from the East side (for example) to the West
side.

This would also work with a flat screen monitor.  A CRT monitor
would present some difficulties but there's no stopping the determined.

Re: Of all the stupid things . . . .

Most PDF viewers will rotate pages.  Older versions of Adobe Acrobat
Viewer will not.  I use PDF-Xchange viewer and editor programs instead
of Acrobat:
<https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer
How to rotate pages:
<http://help.tracker-software.com/pdfxe6/index.html?rotate-pages_ed.html

You can also rotate documents online:
<https://www.pdfrotate.com
Click on "Rotate Single Page Instead" and then "More" as needed.

Re: Of all the stupid things . . . .

Oops.  You want Editor, not Viewer:
<https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor
Despite the pricing, the trial version of Editor will continue to work
after the trial period is over and retains a limited but useful subset
of the editing features (including page rotation).

Re: Of all the stupid things . . . .

Press and hold Shift, and Control, then press + or -. Each repeating press of + or - rotates by 1/4 turn.

Re: Of all the stupid things . . . .

I recall many years ago, before we all had computers on our desks, we had a
small room with a couple of computers for everyone to share.  One of the
secretaries was learning to use a small Mac, the one they drew in cartoons.
She knew nothing of how a mouse worked and was just learning to use the
machine.  She asked someone what to do when the mouse hit the side of the
computer and the cursor wasn't where you wanted it.

The guy telling the story was laughing at her.  I felt bad for her.  She was
a very nice person, but didn't understand the world of engineers much less
engineering.  That wasn't her fault.  Engineers can be very stupid when
dealing with people.

--

Rick C

Re: Of all the stupid things . . . .

Among other things, I'm in the computah repair and support business.
I've only laughed at a customer once, and it cost me the customer.  I
think this was in the mid 1980's when CDROM drives had just been
introduced.  I installed a 1X or 2X CDROM drive (with a CD caddy) in
her machine.  I had left her office and made a stop at a local
shopping center for an ice cream fix.  My pager went off and I
returned her call immediately, suspecting that I had done something
wrong.  She asked me "how do I extract the CD disc"?  After some
initial confusion, I determined that one of the standard procedures
were going to work.  It took me about 10 minutes to figure out the
problem.  She didn't understand the purpose of the CD caddy and had
inserted the CD in the only available slot.  No, it wasn't into the
floppy disk drive, but into the space BETWEEN the 5.25" floppy drive
and the new CDROM drive.  I couldn't resist laughing, which turned out
to be a huge mistake.

I finished my ice cream, drove back to her office, disassembled the
machine, and extracted the CDROM.  I don't recall if I was still
chuckling, but I probably was.  She was very quiet and looked rather
irate.  The next day, I was informed by the bookkeeper that I should
send them a closing invoice, and that it would best if I would not
contact their office in the future.  Oops.  She apparently did not
take kindly to my laughing, which suggested that I thought she was
clueless.

Lesson learned.  I no longer laugh at my customers mistakes, lack of
ability, failures to learn, stupid actions, lack of technical
abilities, etc.

More of the same:
<http://members.cruzio.com/~jeffl/nooze/support.txt

Re: Of all the stupid things . . . .

Damn it, I'm Laughing out loud from reading this. How could you NOT
laugh at that one.....

My first thought was that she was a blond, and this would make a good
blond joke, but normally, blonds have a sense of humor and can laugh at
things like this. So, I guess you just met a plain asshole with no
brains....

Re: Of all the stupid things . . . .

The situation caught me off guard and I wasn't prepared.  I also
assumed that she couldn't hear me laugh in the pay phone booth.  I was
wrong.

At some point in the future, I ended up with an identical CDROM drive
with the caddy thing.  By that time, they were totally obsolete and
nobody wanted them.  I kept one on the shelf as a reminder to keep my
big mouth shut.

Incidentally, the original 1X CDROM drive cost me about $150 in
1985(?).  The only data CD that we had available was something like
"World Statistics" which cost about $100.  Times and prices have
changed somewhat.

Nope.  Like most small towns, Santa Cruz CA is ruled by a few
families.  She was the matriarch of one of those influential families.
To them, I was a mere "tradesman", who should not be tolerated, and
are considered disposable.  I lost quite a bit of potential future
business from well paying clients that day.  Oddly, I still do work
for 2 of the accountants who worked in that office, although both are
now retired.

Re: Of all the stupid things . . . .
ability, failures to learn, stupid actions, lack of technical
abilities, etc."

Sometimes the laugh is worth the money. We had someone call the TV shop to ask if the people on TV could also see them. this was a long time ago.

Now the question isn't quite as funny.

Re: Of all the stupid things . . . .

I use PDF-Xchange viewer too, and you're right, it does have a rotate
feature. I never knew that was there..... Now I do.
I quit using Adobe reader years ago. I try to avoid all Adobe software.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Of all the stupid things . . . .

They started this shit about "make hand cursor into select cursor" which ha
ppens after a few seconds. If you forget to move the mouse before clicking
to move the view it selects the whole screen, and a second click DOES not d
eselect.

I found the setting that disables that stupid feature in older versions. Us
ually I have the thing magnified so that I can see it, as a result I freque
ntly have to move it.

At work I ended up with the newest version and could not find the setting t
o disable that "feature". As such, I say this. Version seven is the newest
you need fro almost anything. It will bitch once in a a while about wanting
 to download something about a foreign character set but who wants that ? I
 can't read it anyway. Can you read simplified Chinese ?

I do have Adobe Audition and though its interface is not the best, it is a
128 channel audio recorder, though only two channels at a time unless you h
ave a special soundcard. That is a very low version and it is staying that
way. I use it to rip vinyl to CD.

There was an older program I used for that, Cooledit. It was only two chann
els but it worked for the same purpose. turns out, Adobe Audition bear quit
e a resemblance to Cooledit and I soon found out that once you install Audi
tion, Cooledit no longer works. It usurps one of the DLLs and I am pretty s
ure it does not back it up. So now the freeware doesn't work and is not lik
ely to either.

Oh, and I have Adobe Photoshop. The version is about 20 years old and guess
 what, it can stay that way. I got XP and Vista and wish I would have upgra
ded the Vista machine to XP when I had the chance.

I will not buy ANYTHING new, especially software.

Re: Of all the stupid things . . . .

See if your reader allows you to save the newly rotated image series.
Depending on how PDF-Exchange works you want to highlight ALL pages and
rotate them together. Then see if you can save the file in the new
orientation.

I use a Mac so the problem is trivial as Preview does all that with a
few simple steps: show thumbnails, select all thumbnails, rotate all
thumbnails (which are the pages), save.

John :-#)#

                       John's Jukes Ltd.
Re: Of all the stupid things . . . .

I'm sure it depends on the program you are using, but most that allow you to
actually alter the file have separate controls for rotating the page vs.
just rotating the view.  Usually rotating the view causes all pages in the
document to rotate.  If you save that document it is unchanged.  Rotating
the actual content is a separate control and is usually controlled
separately for each page.  That is why you first select the pages you want
rotated.  Not all PDF viewers have this feature as they are viewers and not
editors.

--

Rick C

Site Timeline