Of all the stupid things . . . .

Of all the stupid things . . . . While looking at some online manuals, I downloaded a .PDF manual that's upside down.....

What the hell am I supposed to do, stand on my head to read it?

I have the software to flip graphics, but I dont have the slightest clue how to flip a PDF file.

Dont people check this stuff before they post it?

(No, I dont have a printer. I read everything on screen, so I have never seen the need to waste paper or own a printer).

I guess I'll have to take this one to a print shop if I want to read it.

Reply to
oldschool

I guess you can turn your monitor upside down!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Not to spoon feed ya, but most recent versions of Adobe Acrobat reader should have a rotate function. Ctrl+R, and equivalent command on Macs.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 5/27/2017 9:27 PM:

There is a reason why he likes tube equipment.

I had my oscilloscope open once to fix a problem and on a whim I decided to swap the connections for the horizontal sweep. Don't know why, I just did. Now I'm very used to it. If I were to want to share any photographs of traces I would have to reverse the image for anyone else to look at... not that it would be likely this is needed.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Yes, that would work. The suggestion to turn your monitor upside down is also good. If you have a mirror or two, you could flip the image with them. Failing that, you could have your eyeballs surgically inverted.

It's almost impossible on my PDF viewer. I can either drop a menu by clicking on some stupid icon which might look something like a dog eared piece of paper and then clicking on the words "rotate right" or "rotate left". Why did they make it so obscure and why did they give me too many choices? Probably programmed by damn kids who have no respect for their elders, that's why.

Then, to add to the confusion, I can rotate images without the menu by pressing on the Ctrl key and the right arrow key OR pressing on the Ctrl key and the LEFT arrow key. Whew!!

What else would you expect with today's failing education system and the "everyone gets a trophy" attitude? They're just raising kids to be selfish and idiotic.

That works, too.

Reply to
analogdial

Most PDF viewers will rotate pages. Older versions of Adobe Acrobat Viewer will not. I use PDF-Xchange viewer and editor programs instead of Acrobat: How to rotate pages:

You can also rotate documents online: Click on "Rotate Single Page Instead" and then "More" as needed.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Oops. You want Editor, not Viewer: Despite the pricing, the trial version of Editor will continue to work after the trial period is over and retains a limited but useful subset of the editing features (including page rotation).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I didn't think of that. But you'll have to get the person at the print shop to make sure the copies are made upside down or it will just be the same problem.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I recall many years ago, before we all had computers on our desks, we had a small room with a couple of computers for everyone to share. One of the secretaries was learning to use a small Mac, the one they drew in cartoons. She knew nothing of how a mouse worked and was just learning to use the machine. She asked someone what to do when the mouse hit the side of the computer and the cursor wasn't where you wanted it.

The guy telling the story was laughing at her. I felt bad for her. She was a very nice person, but didn't understand the world of engineers much less engineering. That wasn't her fault. Engineers can be very stupid when dealing with people.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I use PDF-Xchange viewer too, and you're right, it does have a rotate feature. I never knew that was there..... Now I do. I quit using Adobe reader years ago. I try to avoid all Adobe software.

Thanks for the help!

Reply to
oldschool

On my version (which is Acrobat not the reader) you click on the symbol that looks like a page with the corner turned down and scroll down to "page display tools" where is shown a couple of rotate symbols which will do just that.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Even if the print shop screws up and the pages are printed upside down, the OP still has another choice. He could place the pages on a small table and move the chair from the East side (for example) to the West side.

This would also work with a flat screen monitor. A CRT monitor would present some difficulties but there's no stopping the determined.

Reply to
analogdial

They started this shit about "make hand cursor into select cursor" which ha ppens after a few seconds. If you forget to move the mouse before clicking to move the view it selects the whole screen, and a second click DOES not d eselect.

I found the setting that disables that stupid feature in older versions. Us ually I have the thing magnified so that I can see it, as a result I freque ntly have to move it.

At work I ended up with the newest version and could not find the setting t o disable that "feature". As such, I say this. Version seven is the newest you need fro almost anything. It will bitch once in a a while about wanting to download something about a foreign character set but who wants that ? I can't read it anyway. Can you read simplified Chinese ?

I do have Adobe Audition and though its interface is not the best, it is a

128 channel audio recorder, though only two channels at a time unless you h ave a special soundcard. That is a very low version and it is staying that way. I use it to rip vinyl to CD.

There was an older program I used for that, Cooledit. It was only two chann els but it worked for the same purpose. turns out, Adobe Audition bear quit e a resemblance to Cooledit and I soon found out that once you install Audi tion, Cooledit no longer works. It usurps one of the DLLs and I am pretty s ure it does not back it up. So now the freeware doesn't work and is not lik ely to either.

Oh, and I have Adobe Photoshop. The version is about 20 years old and guess what, it can stay that way. I got XP and Vista and wish I would have upgra ded the Vista machine to XP when I had the chance.

I will not buy ANYTHING new, especially software.

Reply to
jurb6006

See if your reader allows you to save the newly rotated image series. Depending on how PDF-Exchange works you want to highlight ALL pages and rotate them together. Then see if you can save the file in the new orientation.

I use a Mac so the problem is trivial as Preview does all that with a few simple steps: show thumbnails, select all thumbnails, rotate all thumbnails (which are the pages), save.

John :-#)#

                       John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

I'm sure it depends on the program you are using, but most that allow you to actually alter the file have separate controls for rotating the page vs. just rotating the view. Usually rotating the view causes all pages in the document to rotate. If you save that document it is unchanged. Rotating the actual content is a separate control and is usually controlled separately for each page. That is why you first select the pages you want rotated. Not all PDF viewers have this feature as they are viewers and not editors.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Damn it, I'm Laughing out loud from reading this. How could you NOT laugh at that one.....

My first thought was that she was a blond, and this would make a good blond joke, but normally, blonds have a sense of humor and can laugh at things like this. So, I guess you just met a plain asshole with no brains....

Reply to
oldschool

Among other things, I'm in the computah repair and support business. I've only laughed at a customer once, and it cost me the customer. I think this was in the mid 1980's when CDROM drives had just been introduced. I installed a 1X or 2X CDROM drive (with a CD caddy) in her machine. I had left her office and made a stop at a local shopping center for an ice cream fix. My pager went off and I returned her call immediately, suspecting that I had done something wrong. She asked me "how do I extract the CD disc"? After some initial confusion, I determined that one of the standard procedures were going to work. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out the problem. She didn't understand the purpose of the CD caddy and had inserted the CD in the only available slot. No, it wasn't into the floppy disk drive, but into the space BETWEEN the 5.25" floppy drive and the new CDROM drive. I couldn't resist laughing, which turned out to be a huge mistake.

I finished my ice cream, drove back to her office, disassembled the machine, and extracted the CDROM. I don't recall if I was still chuckling, but I probably was. She was very quiet and looked rather irate. The next day, I was informed by the bookkeeper that I should send them a closing invoice, and that it would best if I would not contact their office in the future. Oops. She apparently did not take kindly to my laughing, which suggested that I thought she was clueless.

Lesson learned. I no longer laugh at my customers mistakes, lack of ability, failures to learn, stupid actions, lack of technical abilities, etc.

More of the same:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I rotated the entire file (all pages). I did a "SAVE AS" to retain the original, in case it did not work properly. It worked fine. The saved file is an identical file size and views properly.

When I rotated, it gave me the option to rotate "Current page", Selected pages (by number), or rotate "ALL". I chose the "ALL" option.

Now I know why I like PDF-Xchange!

(By the way, I'm using their "portable version"). That's the only one that runs on both XP and Windows 98.

Reply to
oldschool

Press and hold Shift, and Control, then press + or -. Each repeating press of + or - rotates by 1/4 turn.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

ability, failures to learn, stupid actions, lack of technical abilities, etc."

Sometimes the laugh is worth the money. We had someone call the TV shop to ask if the people on TV could also see them. this was a long time ago.

Now the question isn't quite as funny.

Reply to
jurb6006