occasional sound cut out on Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop

I have owned this laptop for a good number of years now. I actually have two of them and keep one as a standby in case the other isn't working plus there's one other issue and that is on the one, I occasionally lose sound.

This has been going on since it was new. Sound will cut out for no reason and the only way to restore is with a reboot. Over the years, the hard drive has been replaced and new OS installed. I use dual boot either Win or Ubuntu and it doesn't matter as sound will sometimes cut out on either OS. The motherboard was also replaced within the first three years and the problem persists.

So, it's obviously a hardware issue, but where? If I had one wish, it would be to fix the problem once and for all!

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
JBI

ly

rs,

boot

rst

, it

When the sound next cuts out try inserting and then removing a headphone/speaker pin plug into the remote speaker socket. Might be a dirty switch on the socket...

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson