Nokia Monitor Problem

I have a 1995 vintage Nokia Multigraph 445X 21-inch monitor that has recently begun to act up in a strange and mysterious way. Specifically, there are strange high-pitched whines and clicking sounds whenever the display is moving from one screen to another (as during start up and shut down), but not during the time when a screen type is being displayed (DOS-like or Windows 98SE). In fact, as I am typing this post in Windows, the monitor is fine and solid, and likewise would be if I was in MS-DOS mode. The problem is especially prevalent when I start up since there are several transitions between screen shots of the initial BIOS messages, SATA RAID controller scan, SCSI controller scan, and AVG boot up scan. What I find really weird is that the problem only occurs during these transitions. I have contacted ViewSonic (who took over the Nokia monitor line), but I have not had a response from them yet. Is there anyone out there who could give me an idea what could cause such a vexing problem? I have otherwise been very satisfied with the monitor (especially with its professional-level video quality) and would like to keep it going. Any help here would be very much appreciated, since I fear that I am just continuing to damage the monitor by subjecting it to these annoying cycles of noise...

Thanks in advance, drchaos

Reply to
cpsilva

The clicking sounds are the relays changing the scan settings. The high pitched whine could be the scan transformer or coils being swept through the frequency range looking for a scan lock. This could be because you are pushing the limits of scan range.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.