Noisy cooling fan Moulinex microwave

Hi,

a friend of mine has an older microwave oven (Moulinex Y87 Optimo Duo) whose cooling fan has started to be very noisy and vibrating. I have checked the European parts distributor EURAS already and they list the fan as NLA.

Anyone knows here, what kind of cooling fan these ovens usually employ so I might look for a cheap replacement fan (voltage, power consumption) ? My friend has moved to Norway, he just graduated and thus doesn't have the money to buy a new microwave oven, especially in Norway (expensive) :).

I am in Germany and could buy one for him, so if anyone could give me a hint what to look for, I'd highly appreciate it. In the meantime, he is going to disassemble the oven to inspect the fan.

Regards,

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Glaubitz

One source I use in USA is

Fasco makes small fractional HP ac motors but you need the specifications both electrical and physical.

Reply to
Meat Plow

.

Why not lubricate the fan bearings? Much easier and cheaper than replacing the whole fan. Sometimes slightly bending the sheet metal holding the sleeve bearings will also solve the problem, along with lubrication.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi!

If the fan still runs, there is a good chance you can fix it. It will be vibrating for one reason:

  1. It's loose.
  2. A blade is broken.
  3. The bearings are cheap, dry or both.

1 and 3 are the easiest ones to fix. You can tighten the fan or oil the bearings.

Reason 2 will require some fabrication or reattachment of the broken blade, as well as a solution to whatever made it break. It will also involve rebalancing the fan if you find that it runs noisily after repair, and to prevent excessive wear on the bearings.

Most of the motors are fairly simple AC powered shaded pole units. A truly dead microwave oven could provide a replacement if one is required. As long as the operating voltage is correct, and you can figure out a way to mount the new motor, there should be no problem.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Thanks for the comprehensive information. We're now just having another problem first: the fan is hardly accessible, he said he would have to disassemble the *whole* oven to access it, not very service-friendly. I don't know then whether he will actually do it or live with the problem until he can afford a new one. I keep trying to convince my friend.

Thanks alot,

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Glaubitz