No sound output on abit IP35 Pro MB with Realtek Audio

OK, I know this isn't a real PC group but generally the people here are more knowledgeable. ;-)

I was given a PC with an abit IP35 Pro MB with Realtek Audio which works in every respect expect there isn't any sound from any output. I'm running XP with SP3 and, yes, all the volume controls are all the way up, nothing is muted, and the speakers work fine on the PC sitting right next to it. I installed the latest audio drivers (though no others since everything else works) from the abit Web site at:

The only anomoly is an unrecognized device in Device Manager, but it isn't under Sound Devices. Of course with Windoze, anything is possible!

Google turns up a number of problems that sound (no pun...) similar.

There is one about XP SP3 causing a problem with the UAA (Universal Audio Architecture?) but that seems to not recognize the audio hardware at all. Here, everything is working but nothing coming out.

My fall back position is to buy a $7 sound card on eBay. :)

Any info appreciated!!

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

The on board sound chip is duff !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Have you checked the bios settings for the front panel audio?

If you need the motherboard manual:

Richt click on one of the mirror sites and save the link. It took several tries to get a clean copy, but I finally got it from their Aisa mirror.

ip35-pro.zip is the file you will be saving. It contains ip35-pro.pdf

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

This is the one I got from one of their Web sites: ip35_ip35-e.zip .

The only audio jumpers/connector is for the FP audio. It has HD Audio plugged in.

The BIOS has the audio enabled. I've tried both HD Audio and AC97.

Thanks for trying!

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

In device manager, expand the 'system devices' branch.

Is there an entry for 'Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio'?

BTW Sam, your sig separator is broken again :-(

Should be --{space}{newline}

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Latest BIOS?

Do you have the sound chip enabled in the CMOS setup?

Does it go "ding" from the spkr during bootup?

Go unto: Control Panel -> Sound and Audio -> Audio and make sure the speaker output is coming from the Realtek chip.

Duz the Microphone/Audio input work or is it also kaput? Use the Sound Recorder for testing.

That could be it. Duz the unrecognized device had a device ID? If it's not recognized, it will be listed under "Unrecognized Devices" not under Sound Devices. Try:

and see if you can identify what the Device Mgr is complaining about. My guess(tm) is that's the problem.

Dunno. I don't think so.

Check the CMOS setup and see if there's a setting for redirecting the sound from the rear to the front panel. There seems to be some kind of automagic sound output redirection, depending on which 3.5mm jack has the spkr attached, on the Abit board.

Also, make sure the audio settings are for commodity 2 channel stereo, not 7.1 "HD" audio, which the board supports.

There seems to be a pin header on the board that goes to front panel audio. Is this connector backwards (my favorite screwup)?

Last resort. RTFM:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

Yes, but it seems to predate the latest version.

Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio

3/5/2004 5.10.0.5010
--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser

I'll have to check that.

Yes.

No, nothing!

I think I checked all possibilities there.

Right, that's where it is.

I refers to the Radeon X1800, which is the display card. Something goofy there but reloading the latest drivers makes no change in anything.

Checked, try all settings, no change.

I'll doublecheck but I think it's keyed.

I did, if you can believe it! :)

Thanks!

--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser

That might be wrong. Most PC's belch some kind of beep or ding during bootup before Windoze loads. Check the speaker wiring. Better yet, try different jacks among the multitude of 3.5mm audio connectors the pollute the rear panel. (See manual below).

Hopefully, you're using amplified speakers, not the HP style where the amplifier is in the PC.

Ok, let's play with some diagnostics. Start -> run -> dxdiag -> Sound This will run the DirectX diagnostics which include some noises from the speaker. If there are any driver issues, DxDiag will complain.

Try diagnostics that do NOT require Windoze. I vaguely recall that there were some built in diags in the BIOS, but my memory might be faulty. Most of my Dell and IBM machines have them. Dive and and see if there's anything useful in there.

There are a bunch of diagnostics available that boot from a floppy or CD. Of course, they're all sitting in my palatial office and I'm at home. Google isn't being very helpful. I'm finding a zillion CPU RAM and HD testers, but nothing for sound. Maybe a Linux Live-CD. Well, try this:

  1. Grab: (12K)
  2. Boot from an DOS floppy.
  3. Run fonebell.com: It's suppose to sound like a phone ringing. Well, it does on a 4.77MHz XP, but sounds more like a sick buzzer on my 3.2Ghz Core2Duo. All I want it to do is make noise from the sound chip without Windoze. If it works, you might have a driver problem in Windoze.

When I find something better (for free), I'll post it (after I fix a pile of trashed Apple G3 yo-yo laptop power supplies for the local skool).

You must be desperate. I never read the manual until after I fix the problem. It's a matter of personal pride. (However, I do read the release notes, which is where all the goodies are usually buried).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Check the MB jumpers around the audio chipset & audio I/O sockets. Some motherboards use jumpers to switch audio between the internal sockets, or external sockets. Try looking up the MB model number on the manufacturers website, & hopefully you'll be able to find a diagram showing where all the jumpers go, & what they're for. You might even find a jumper than enable/disables the internal sound chipset.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bob Larter

Try uninstalling the unrecognised device, then rebooting.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bob Larter

There *may* be a fix regarding something that installing service pack3 did (or didn't do), or it could indeed be something broken on the chipset.

Even if you boot from a linux boot CD (or install windows 7) and find the sound working with that, I'd spring for a cheapie $7 soundcard - it's not worth spending time if other more $$$ things are being displaced from your interest.

IMO There are only a few onboard chipsets that are good in quality - the rest, including realtek, tend to be rather noisy.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Buy PCi sound card.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Diagnostics pass but no sound when doing "Test DirectSound".

Fonebell Sounds like a busy signal through the PC speaker.

And note that there was no PC speaker installed before. So, there is a BIOS/POST beep now from the speaker as well.

But nothing fromthe speaker in Windoze.

:)

Thanks!

--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser

Did that, just found the unrecognized device again. :( :)

--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser

No jumpers that I could find even in the manual. :)

--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser

That's my feeling at this point. I'm also not that fussy as long as it sounds decent. I don't need to shake the foundation. :)

--
    sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Samuel M. Goldwasser

On board sound chip failure is very very common. I wish I had a £($) for every new machine or mainboard I've seen that had to have sound card added because of it !

I've seen chips fitted rotated 90 out on the mainboard.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Some of it is unnessary circuit complication though which causes headaches installing the right driver, as there are /two/ of those to install with either AC'97 or (the later) High Definition schemes in use.

The first for the motherboard chipset HUB controller (normally Intel, but AMD and Nvidia as well) and the second for the Codec (Realtek, Conexant, and Analog Devices). Then ye get the headache of Microsoft stepping in and wreaking the compatability of everything.

'97

Laterally or tombstoned?

I've got a cheapie Gigabyte AMD board here I'm scrapping. The board had so warped on the wave soldering machine, that the DDR sockets only grab memory modules by the edge contacts and bows away from the middle.

Complete junk.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

That unrecognized device is the sensor for uGuru. Download uGuru utility from Abit site and it will give you all the information about your mobo, i.e. fan, heat, voltage etc. But not sound.

Before you buy sound card, check your L/Speakers on you TV or any other device if its has audio output socket such as Head Phone socket.

Reply to
mbegz