"No Disc" error when trying to read DVDs

I have a Phillips DVP 3005/05 DVD player and all of a sudden it is extremely tempremental when playing any DVDs. I've taken off the outer case to see if there was anything obvious but I can't see anything to the naked eye.

When the DVD is inserted, it spins round and the laser tries to read the disc. This takes a remarkably longer time than when it was working fine. The disc gets to full speeed and then slows down and then after a few seconds goes back to full speed. This is repeated several times. Sometimes the disc will get to the menu but most of the time it will never get there and show a "No Disc" error on screen. If I am lucky and it does get to the main menu, it is hit or miss how long it takes before it can't read the DVD.

I've tried DVDs that I've burnt from my PC as well as standard movie DVDs but they ultimately show the same effects.

I've heard of using a DVD cleaning kit though looking at the laser itself it doesn't seem to be obstructed, dusty or dirty. Would it be worthwhile getting a cleaning kit, does it seem like I need to get replacement parts or probably more time/cost effective get a new DVD player.

Reply to
Jacko

DO NOT use a cleaner disc. These seldom do any good, and can actually do harm. Your very first test, is to insert a CD, and see if that is correctly read, and then correctly played all the way through. If it is, then there's a better than even chance that your laser is faulty, in which case, it will probably write the player off from a cost effectiveness point of view.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

If people only knew how fragile the lens focusing mechanism is they would never use a cleaner.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I presume in your point of view then that cleaner discs are too hyped up for what they actually say they do?

I have done some more tests and found the following:

- Tried a 2/3 CDs and they play straight away.

- Tried a few more DVDs at random and some play ok (or at least get to the menu and start playing the movie) and others have the same effect as what I initially described. I tried several DVDs from the series I have of Family Guy and none worked. Tried some random movies and some of these worked. I can't seem to pin it down as ALL these play ok on my main Sony DVD player.

If it is not worth the effort of a lens cleaner and getting a replacement lens (or other part for the player) will be to troublesome I think I may have to resign myself to buying a new DVD player. I don't like throwing things away if I can help it but I suppose you can't expect things to last forever. I've had this player since 2005 so it's done ok to last that long. Any suggestions on a make that will have the reputation to last longer?

Reply to
Jacko

OK. All of your symptoms indicate a worn laser. If it plays a CD, this normally verifies the deck mechanics, and the front end processing electronics for the laser, and indicates that the DVD laser diode is low output. There are two reasons that cleaner discs don't do much good on DVD players. The first is that unlike CD players, where the rotational speed of the disc is quite low, on DVD players, it is very high. This causes a thick layer of air at the surface of the disc, to be dragged round with it, creating quite a wind across the top of the lens. This tends to keep it dusted, so it is rare to see a dusty DVD laser lens, compared to how often you see one on a CD player.

The second reason is that there is a sort of 'wall' around the edge of the lens. This serves to deflect the brush bristles on the cleaner disc, so that at best, they only brush the very centre of the lens. As far as damage goes, I have seen a number of examples over the years, where the bristles have caught in the lens suspension or optical block cover and, due to the high rotational speed of the disc, have actually torn the cover off, or bent the delicate lens suspension.

Before condemning the player to the garbage, it would be worth you doing a manual clean on the lens using isopropyl alcohol and a Q-Tip (cotton bud), particularly if it's a smoking household, as virtually invisible residues from tobacco smoke can condense on the lens. The Q-Tip should be just slightly moist - roll it on the back of your hand a couple of times - and it should be used to carefully clean the whole surface of the lens. The lens suspension is delicate, but not ridiculously so. Just take reasonable care, and you will be fine. Use a dry Q-Tip to polish the lens surface after it has dried. It might just recover the player for a few more months.

I can't really think of any particular makes that are any better than others. Pioneer maybe. But it is a lottery, and you are probably just as well with any player that has the features you need, and a nice long warranty. If the player gets a lot of use, 2 to 3 years is a good result for lifetime ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks very much for your advice. I'll try cleaning it as suggested. If that fails I'll be popping out to get another DVD player.

Reply to
Jacko

It's still worth taking 10 minutes, opening the thing up, and cleaning the lens manually. Since it does play some DVDs, it may just be dirty enough to be marginal.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

I've seen some really dirty lenses but mostly on computer drives in the home of heavy smokers. The reasons being #1 the tar in smoke, #2 the fact that air is continuously pulled through the drive while the PC is on and #3 people tend to smoke a lot when they are at their PC.

Reply to
Meat Plow

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 00:27:11 -0700 (PDT), Jacko put finger to keyboard and composed:

I'm curious if the ones that were detected were single layer discs and those that weren't were dual layer. I have an old DVD player that seems to misbehave this way.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar