No Color on My Sony trinitron tv

Hello there,

I'm hoping you guys can help me with my tv query,

I just bought a second hand sony Trinitron tv and when I brought it back home the color had gone and it only showed perfect black and white images.

from various threads from the net, it seems the fault could be with the chroma chip/circuit.

Now can you please tell me where i can find such part inside my tv? The idea is to prod around the chroma chip with an insulated tool to see if I can make the color come and go.

Any other suggestions I would be grateful for. Bytheway the teletext seems to have color

cheers,

from London,

Alfredo

Reply to
avela39

Make sure the color setting in the menu is not the culprit. It does not affect the teletext. Try inputting something through the SCART, does it make any difference?

Reply to
Jussi Peltola

Reply to
avela39

I tried everything possible including using the scart, the next thing would be to get inside the tv, im looking through some service manuel to familarize myself before I start touching anything

How do I recognize the chroma chip?

cheers,

-A

Reply to
avela39

white

the

The

if

not

difference?

The set is old, AND its a sony. Use it as a boat anchor.

Reply to
Deke

Sorry, I missed the start of this thread.

If 'London' means: London UK, you probably have a PAL set. Color (or is it colour :-) on teletext and black and white pictures is usually very simple: There is a 4.43 MHz or 8.86 MHz crystal on the board, next to a trimmer. The tuning of that trimmer probably has gone bad. (The chroma chip is the chip closest to that crystal. But who cares :-)

Find the region for the trimmer that shows color. And leave the trimmer at the center of that region.

If you can't get color on any trimmer setting, replace the trimmer by a ceramic capacitor; 18 pf comes to mind :-)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok