NiMH batteries in a 2-way radio

I've been searching for a two-way radio (walkie talkie) and I've found one I really like. This particular one works on three AAA alkaline batteries. For $10 more I can get the same radio but with rechargeable NiMH batteries and a recharger. The recharger just plugs right into the radio. Since I already have rechargeable batteries I figured I'd get the cheaper one without the recharger. I was looking at the instructions and it says this: Only use our NiMH battery. Does that mean I'm only supposed to use their NiMH battery if I'm using the recharger? Or does it mean I shouldn't use any NiMH battery at all? I don't see why there would be a problem if I charge my batteries in my own separate charger then use them in the radio. I contacted customer service but I really don't trust any customer service representatives to give me an honest answer. They're just paid to say whatever will make the company more money.

Reply to
Jo

You can use any batteries you like.

They want you to use their batteries with their recharger because A: they know their batteries will work properly with their recharger, and B: they want you to spend more money.

But there's nothing wrong with using NiMH cells from somebody else, in another charger.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Use what you have can't hurt.

Reply to
mark

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:03:53 -0400, mark wrote (in article ):

I have a couple of Motorola Talk-Abouts. When I use rechargeables other than those included in the sealed pack, the battery indicator registers only "partly charged" even when they are fully charged; and they don't seem to last as long. Might have something to do with the voltage. I know NiCad are only 1.2 and register low if the device is expecting alkaline 1.5's.

--
Nelson
Reply to

Yes that is true.. But your radios are designed for rechargeables. As long as they are the same type of cells (NIMH) you shouldnt have any problems. Its not like the company makes their own special batteries to go with the radios. At best they buy batteries from some chinese company and pay them to lable the batteries with a custom logo. Like this "Danger:These are the only batteries you can use with this radio. If other battiers are used this device will explode."

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

They may not have their own special batteries, but they may have a pack that contains 5 NiCD cells vs 4 alkalines. ...both approx 6 volts. (That's a general comment... I don't know about Motorola Talk-Abouts).

Reply to
greenpjs

The FRS radios I like opperate off AA and have a manual volume control. Thats how my Icom FRS is. I have a pair of Midland FRS/GMRS that opperate off AAA and have a silly PB volume control. Just awfull.

I can only say it migh be about battery mahr. Its is VERY nice though to have a charging stand.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Mine have a menu option to adjust the battery indicator for either alkaline or NiMH batteries. Check yours for same....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 23:55:11 -0400, jakdedert wrote (in article ):

Nope. Model T9580RSAME, 28 mi range. I will give Motorola credit however. I had a set of their 14 mile range SX600 which failed when the temp dropped below 40 degrees. They upgraded me to the 28 mi model and shipped the replacements to me at no charge and with no hassle. They also sent a post-paid box to ship the failed ones back for analysis. I'd do business with them again based on that experience.

--
Nelson
Reply to