Nikon Capture.

It would be handy to stick one of my Nikon cameras on a tripod and use it to
capture snapshots on the PC of things on the bench - but Nikon charge rather
a lot of money for their Capture software suite.

Is there a generic type capture util that will work with the Nikon?

The cheap & nasty Vivicam had this included with the drivers already in XP,
but its not so good with no optical zoom.

Any help appreciated - thanks.

Re: Nikon Capture.

Linux seems to let you download pictures from nearly all cameras
without installing any software.  You plug in the camera, and a
box pops up notifying you a camera has been detected, and asks if
you want to download images.

Jon

Re: Nikon Capture.
This works on XP as well. I just get a folder called DCIM, which
contains contents of Camera.

Re: Nikon Capture.

On one of the cameras I have, it can be plugged in and used exactly like a
webcam - alternatively, the shutter can be controlled by clicking the mouse
for single shot capture. It has some very basic controls like brightness &
contrast etc - something that basic would be good enough, even better if it
works with any camera that I've installed the basic drivers for.

Re: Nikon Capture.

That Intel camera I pulled out of the garbage was mostly a webcam, with
the ability to be used off batteries as a standalone digital camera.

The problem with webcams is of course lower pixel count compared to the
average current digital camera.  I'm not sure how that works out in this
sort of application.

I just saw something suggesting taking a webcam and reversing the lens, so
it works better for close up work.  That might be something worth trying,
webcams are something easy to find in the garbage.

   Michael

Re: Nikon Capture.

How do you intend to reverse a lens that presumably cannot be removed from the
camera?

The camera is already designed for "close ups", so I don't see how that would
help.

Re: Nikon Capture.

How do you intend to reverse a lens that presumably cannot be removed from
the
camera?

The camera is already designed for "close ups", so I don't see how that
would
help.

William, you have a habit of spouting off ignorant garbage at anything you
are not familiar with.

Please stop that, and do a little research first before posting, eh.

Gareth.

Re: Nikon Capture.

Ignorant garbage, eh? You have really stepped into it.

More than 40 years ago, I owned a 52mm reversing ring for my Nikon. It was a
handy way to take a quick close-up.

It was generally felt that reversing the lens produced better image quality
than using plus lenses. The tradeoff was that the reversing ring wasn't usable
over as wide a range.

I would like to know how one would remove the lens from a Webcam and reverse,
without tsuris.

Re: Nikon Capture.

Ignorant garbage, eh? You have really stepped into it.

More than 40 years ago, I owned a 52mm reversing ring for my Nikon. It was a
handy way to take a quick close-up.

It was generally felt that reversing the lens produced better image quality
than using plus lenses. The tradeoff was that the reversing ring wasn't
usable
over as wide a range.

I would like to know how one would remove the lens from a Webcam and
reverse,
without tsuris.

William, you really haven't researched this at all.

Why not Google for a few minutes.
You might actually find out things that you never knew was possible, rather
than just relying on the "truth" that resides soley in your own rather
outdated head.

Gareth.

Re: Nikon Capture.

Oh, but I did. I asked the direct question as to how one was supposed to
reverse a presumably non-removable lens. All you need have said was that some
cameras have the lenses mounted with screws that can be removed. The
discussion would have ended amicably at that point.

I assume this is what you are talking about.

http://diybio.org/2009/12/13/webcam-microscope-hacks-at-bosslab/

I do not see what connection this has with the subject of the original post.

Re: Nikon Capture.

Oh, but I did. I asked the direct question as to how one was supposed to
reverse a presumably non-removable lens. All you need have said was that
some
cameras have the lenses mounted with screws that can be removed. The
discussion would have ended amicably at that point.

I assume this is what you are talking about.

http://diybio.org/2009/12/13/webcam-microscope-hacks-at-bosslab/

I do not see what connection this has with the subject of the original post.

No William, you researched that link after I had made my post, and now you
are trying to suggest that that was part of your pre-posting research.

William, I believe you are a liar and a fraud.

Gareth.

Re: Nikon Capture.

No, Gareth, I stated that my research consisted of asking you a specific
question. (See above.) My search for a Web reference did, indeed, come after
the posting.

You have not yet retracted your statement that putting another lens --
reversed -- in front of the Webcam's lens -- is the same as reversing the
Webcam's lens.

Re: Nikon Capture.

You have not yet retracted your statement that putting another lens --
reversed -- in front of the Webcam's lens -- is the same as reversing the
Webcam's lens.

William, what the fuck are you playing at?

I NEVER said or implied any of the above, you just made that up.

Gareth.

Re: Nikon Capture.

Look in your Sent folder, and see what you actually wrote. I read it several
times, to make I was reading it correctly.

Re: Nikon Capture.

"William Sommerwerck"  wrote in message =

Look in your Sent folder, and see what you actually wrote. I read it =
several20%
times, to make I was reading it correctly.20%

First of all apologies for the multiple posts, it was not intentional. 20%
Windows Live Mail is seriously broken and a serious pain to use.

Anyway, this is what I wrote:

By the way, if you have an old 35mm camera to hand, try taking a 50mm =
lens
and reversing it.

You can get the same effect by simply holding the lens reversed in front =
of
any digital camera lens.

You seem to have interpreted this as:
putting another lens -- reversed -- in front of the Webcam's lens -- is =
the same as reversing the Webcam's lens.

I rest my case.

Anyway, this is what I wrote:

By the way, if you have an old 35mm camera to hand, try taking a 50mm lens
and reversing it.

You seem to have interpreted this as:
putting another lens -- reversed -- in front of the Webcam's lens -- is the
same as reversing the Webcam's lens.

That is //exactly// my interpretation -- because that's //exactly// what you
wrote!

Take off your mental blinders AND READ IT.

Re: Nikon Capture.

Anyway, this is what I wrote:

By the way, if you have an old 35mm camera to hand, try taking a 50mm lens
and reversing it.

You seem to have interpreted this as:
putting another lens -- reversed -- in front of the Webcam's lens -- is the
same as reversing the Webcam's lens.

That is //exactly// my interpretation -- because that's //exactly// what you
wrote!

Take off your mental blinders AND READ IT.

I suggest you read it all again then.

I have never suggested that placing a lens in front of a webcam lens is the
same as reversing the webcam's lens.
That is another thing you have made up.

I have also never mentioned reversing the Webcam's lens, that is all your
doing.
That is yet another thing you seem to have made up.

I'd give up now if I were you.

Gareth.

Re: Nikon Capture.

I have never suggested that placing a lens in front of a webcam
lens is the same as reversing the webcam's lens.

Hello? Knock, knock, knock.

Re: Nikon Capture.

I have never suggested that placing a lens in front of a webcam
lens is the same as reversing the webcam's lens.

Hello? Knock, knock, knock.

Err, what part of that has anything to do with reversing a webcam's lens?

You are not making a lot of sense, other than displaying your obvious
conclusion jumping.

Gareth.

Re: Nikon Capture.

I have never suggested that placing a lens in front of a webcam
lens is the same as reversing the webcam's lens.

Hello? Knock, knock, knock.

Err, what part of that has anything to do with reversing a webcam's lens?
You are not making a lot of sense, other than displaying your obvious
conclusion jumping.

This discussion started with my (incorrect) claim that it would not be easy to
reverse the lens on a (presumably inexpensive) Webcam. I was wrong.

Lens reversal was commonly used to get closeups without having to buy a macro
lens -- or even a set of plus lenses. The problem, though, is that you don't
have a wide range of focus with a reversed lens.

The discussion got out of hand.

Site Timeline