Newbie questions: Recommendations on tools for SMT board repairs

After quite a few years away from electronics repair, I'm going to get back into it as a hobby. I'm going to focus on computer and LCD monitor repair, specifically to donate my parts and labor time to needy organizations. So I've started gathering tools for the workbench to handle SMT board repairs.

From reading this group for the last few weeks it, here are the tools & supplies I've seen recommended so far:

- Digital Volt Meter

- Oscilloscope with regular and high voltage probes

- ESR meter

- tweezer probes

- various jumper clip leads

- soldering station with adjustable heat

- liquid flux

- supply of thin solder wick

- solder sucker

- screw drivers, nut drivers, wire strippers, various cutters & pliers, etc

And here come the questions:

- Are there any FAQ's or lists available with suggestions of tools and supplies needed?

- What am I missing from the list above?

- Any particular tools and brands to stay away from? I like buying good tools.

Thanks in advance, Dave

Reply to
Dave

Good luck getting monitor parts. LCD monitor repair is almost exclusively a board-level endeavor and most manu's only supply parts to authorized service centers. As for the SMD work, since it doesn't seem you'll be doing high volume work, you can get by with ChipQuik kits:

The o'scope can be useful for certain work, but all you really need for a quick look inside digital circuitry is a logic probe. This is far more field friendly than a bulky scope, too. Of course, if you intend to directly compare waveforms, you'll want a DSO.

I find Xcelite hand tools to be among the best out there for electronics work, priced accordingly. I've used lots of other brands and can assure you if you skimp here, you'll curse the cheaper stuff in short order.

I know lots of people enjoy slamming Weller, but my WTCPS station has performed exceptionally well for many years. I haven't used the newest Weller stuff. Maybe it's crap, I dunno. The older models appear regularly on ebay and seem reasonably priced. If you want a station with an adjustment knob and a readout, don't bother, as this series of Weller stations is tip controlled (different tip = different temp).

As for the solder sucker, a good compromise between the costly vac stations and garden-variety teflon-tip suckers is the powered sucker. The vac chamber is pretty much identical to a normal sucker with the typical button-operated plunger. Unlike with the average vac, the desoldering process can be done with one hand. Since the tip melts the solder, you can set it directly atop the joint for a perfect seat and you don't have to worry about the metal tips melting, ever. These also work wonders with plated-thru holes. The typical wattages of these vacs is 30-45W and they can be had for as low as $20US.

Don't skimp on the wick. I find Tech Spray's "Pro Wick" and Easy Braid's "Quick Braid" to have the fastest wicking action and longest shelf lives. A reasonable alternative in a pinch is Velleman, but it isn't nearly as cooperative as the first two. Avoid Pro's Tool wicks like the plague.

Liquid flux. I hardly ever require it. If you need to solder a large area such as a thick ground braid to a metal RFI cover, yeah, you'll probably need some extra flux. For 25+ years, I've consistently made beautiful pcb and terminal (pots, switches, etc.) joints using quality rosin-cored solder. Liquid and paste flux is at best overhyped for general electronics work. At worst, it's a time waster. It's one extra step in the soldering process you can eliminate simply by using quality cored solder, the right iron temp and proper technique (ensuing flame fest to be summarily dismissed ;) Granted, flux requirements are different for lead-free applications, but if you have a cored flux that's identical to a bottled flux designed for the task, you should be able to achieve good joints with the same small amount of flux delivered by the solder wire as with leaded cored solder for leaded apps. For more on lead-free considerations:

Ray L. Volts