New LCD Television Switching to Black & White??

Hi,

I recently purchased a 32" "no-name" (Insignia) LCD flat panel TV for the bedroom.

I am quite satisfied with it except for one major problem. Every once in a while (say, once every other day) the TV will spontaneously switch to black and white. If I change channels the color comes back and all is well again.

The TV is less than a month old and under warranty. I will have to return it, but I am curious what may be causing this problem. Your answer will help me decide if I should exchange it for another of the same make and model, or pay considerably more for a better brand. Thanks!

Reply to
wm. bradley

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:27:28 +0000, wm. bradley Has Frothed:

The symptom doesn't mean you bought a cheap set that is prone to color drop out problems. Take it back and have the point of sale make it right with you.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

I once asked on an electronics message board (not sure if it was this one) about the reliability (or lack of it) of Insignia-branded TVs; I also wondered what company made these sets. The answer I received was that televisions with the Insignia brand on the cabinets are in fact very cheaply made and not meant to last very long. (My question as to who actually makes Insignia TVs, however, was not answered.) I wouldn't take any chances with a no-name TV, especially an expensive flat-panel LCD or plasma set. I've had no experience with FP sets (yet, anyhow, but I may be forced to get one when everything goes digital in just over two years); however, I did own a no-name b&w

12" CRT set in the mid-1970s. The television lasted all of three years (!), then one day a puff of white smoke curled up from the ventilation slots in the cabinet. No picture, sound, nothing. Never did find out what was wrong; in fact, I wound up putting the set out for the trash. In your case, however, I suggest you take the set bact to the store from which it was purchased and exchange it for a good one. "Insignia" sounds to me like one of those cheap offshore brands meant to sell cheaply and last only a year or two, if that long. I'd look into an established brand such as Sony (I've read good things about their XBR and Bravia giant-screen HD sets). You get what you pay for. You'll pay more for a good brand, but in the long run your set will likely work better and last longer than any of the no-name offshore TVs. I would exchange the set you have immediately before the problem becomes worse, i. e. the picture switches to b&w and stays that way permanently.

Good luck.

Kind regards,

Jeff Strieble, WB8NHV (e-mail addy not shown to deter spammers) Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA

Reply to
Jeff, WB8NHV

"Jeff, WB8NHV" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

I would exchange the set you have immediately, before the problem goes away, i.e., the picture switches to color and stays that way until the warranty expires, when it returns to plague you.

Reply to
Jim Land

In message , Jim Land writes

(a) Are watching analogue TV or digital? (b) If analogue, what are you using for an antenna? Ian.

Reply to
Ian Jackson