Need to make a THIN stylus for an iPad (that doesn't cost $75)

A THIN stylus for the iPad seems to cost over $75:

Since a stylus should be pretty simple sans moving parts, how does it work and, more importantly, can we craft one out of readily available materials that has a thin (pen-like) point?

Reply to
ceg

Surely Apple users are not meant to be concerned about cost?

Mike.

Reply to
MJC

Cactus thorns were used for gramophone pickup needls at one time, probably tough enough, but not so hard to score boro-silicate glass perhaps. So for a really "green" eco-product line , go for a cactus thorn glued with pine resin into a swan quill. 80 dollars anyone? that'll do nicely

Reply to
N_Cook

I don't think scorn of Apple users is acceptable in these PC times. Wait a few years, maybe we can rid of some of the BullS%^t Political Correctness. Can't even have Taco night at the frat house without being called racist. Paraphrase of a Greg Gutfeld line.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Since my thrust was that Apple users (purchasers) are well off, it is more a matter of envy than scorn...

Mike.

Reply to
MJC

Does cactus thorn have the capacitive effect that is required?

Reply to
ceg

Mostly I'm asking how the stylus works.

Like, why doesn't a pencil work? Why doesn't a q-tip work?

What's a stylus do that a finger does but that a paperclip doesn't do?

Reply to
ceg

Oh you mean the stylus is proprietary! he says with scorn, or was it envy.

Mikek

I don't know the answer, it could be interesting.

Reply to
amdx

See differences between resistive and capacitive touchscreens:

Assuming iPad is capacitive loads of links for making your own:

Kenny

A THIN stylus for the iPad seems to cost over $75:

Since a stylus should be pretty simple sans moving parts, how does it work and, more importantly, can we craft one out of readily available materials that has a thin (pen-like) point?

Reply to
Kenny

First you have to determine what the pad uses.

My Blackberry Playbook uses some odd system, nothing I tried or cooked up worked. My Microsoft Surface 2, however, seems to not be picky, I can use a 1.99 stylus from the dollar store.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Look on ebay for thin stylus - a few cents to A THIN stylus for the iPad seems to cost over $75:

Reply to
KB

How about a toothpick?

Too small, maybe a chopstick.

You don't want to scratch the screen.

Reply to
Frank

I like the one made with the back end of a pencil, using a tack in the eraser holding down a four-inch length of straightened paper clip.

I'll get to work on it right away.

Reply to
ceg

A toothpick won't work.