Need Teac W880RX Schematic

Reel motor drive turning off on it's own. Lack of tape take up motion then shuts down Pinch Roll. Would like to scope it out for cause.

Need Teac W880RX Schematic or Service Manual. Could only find one that costs as much as the unit is worth. Any one able to help?? Usenet reply

Thanks

Reply to
Splork

"Reel motor drive turning off on it's own"

The F/R motor is stopping on it's own, then the unit auto-stops?

It so I would suspect the reel motor itself is going open-circuit at times. Actually happens a lot, especially if the machine has spent much of it's life not being used much.

In these cases, I disconnect the reel motor from the circuit and run it with a separate power supply for at least a couple hours in each direction.

This way you do not run the risk of damage from dis-assembly etc and believe it or not, never seen a re-do from this method.

I've used this method with great success in a Nakamichi MR-1 for example.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

Thanks Mark

Good trick.

I had a scope on the motor and the drive voltage drops in concert with the motor stopping. Pinch roller drops later a second or 2 later as one would expect.

If an open motor, should not the drive power remain applied with the cessation of motion??

Machine has indeed had little use.

Reply to
Splork

If the motor voltage drops, the motor could be shorting internally. Also not uncommon. The cure is different - one has to find a way to clear the short. You can open the circuit to the motor, insert a current meter. If the current goes UP just at the instant the motor stops but before the auto-stop triggers, the short is confirmed.

Also, the motor is running much slower in PLAY mode than in FF or REW. Does the motor quit in FF or REW? Even if there is a short on 1/2 of the motor rotation, at a higher speed it skips past the short too quickly to make the mech stop. The average current is higher of course.

Of course there could be some bad connection or other causing the motor drive voltage to drop out...

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias

Good suggestion.

Fast operations are unaffected.

The issue is intermittent. Have played for 15 min without a stop and also almost instant start to stop.

It is a dual transport machine and both transports exhibit the same problem.

I will play with it again in the next week or 2 and see if I can observe another facet of behavior before taking any action. A schematic would be best as I could probe the input to the drive circuit and see if it is deterministic.

Thanks!

Reply to
Splork

What is the value of a Teac W880RX nowadays ?

thanks,

Reply to
robertodonno