Need speaker relay for Pioneer amp

It is a Pioneer SX-2300, quite old now. I have to bang on the cabinet to get it to work, It is the speaker relay that is failing. It is black and about 1 in. square. Cant' imagine how I would find any parts for this stereo. Is the speaker relay really necessary? Could I bypass it, or would this risk damage to my speakers?

Reply to
geronimo

There are many amps that do not have protection relays. Its a safety but also a dethumper. How much do your seakers cost? You could wire in a size that doesn't fit Just find out the proper opperating voltage.

greg

Reply to
GregS

You don't describe the nature of the failure, but I've salvaged plenty of "locked up" relays by burnishing the contacts clean. Of course, if the cap cannot be removed w/o severe damage to the relay case, this isn't an attractive option. Also, if the contacts were originally plated with a secondary alloy which has been zapped away, burnishing won't be a lasting fix. Minor damage from the tools you use to open it can be repaired -- glue the cap down if the locking tabs are ruined; use 100% silicon rubber caulk to seal small cracks/gaps if you create those.

If your relay is refusing to stay closed or is buzzing, this doesn't necessarily mean the relay is faulty. Since banging on the cabinet makes it work, check for bad solder joints on the relay and associated components.

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

Yes, I would start tapping at various points. I have just opened the cover of many, or if I can't do that, I cut or drill a hole so I can get inside.the relay to clean up.

greg

Reply to
GregS

DO NOT bypass the relay. It forms part of the output protection circuit, and prevents speaker-destroying DC appearing at the speaker terminals, in the event of an output stage failure.

It is common for such relays to produce intermittent results on one or both channels. Usually, the problem can be instigated by a gentle tap on the relay case, with a ballpen. Remove the relay, get its case off by whatever method you can- cut it off with a hacksaw if necessary - then clean the relay contacts by drawing paper through them, then adding switch cleaner / lubricant to finish off.

If you had to cut the case off, fix it back either by glueing, or wrapping round with electrical tape.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

It's very likely a 'stock' item. Look up an electronics supplier.

--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd start by burnishing the contacts and see whether that helps -- unless the coil is going.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT