Need power supply with 12 and 24 volt arranged in square pattern in DIN plug

Just got in a LCTV which takes something called a ADP-24V12V-4P power supply. Not sure if it works or not. Doesnt seem to be available except at about the same price as the whole TV's total current value.

Does anyone recognise this unit and have any idea where to get one please?. Seems to be available in Hong Kong where I cant believe it would cost all that much.

Reply to
DManzaluni

Does it give full details of the loading, etc? No real reason not to use two independant supplies - one 12v and one 24v. Although 24 volt wall warts might be more difficult to source.

--
*I\'m really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are you sure its not for a single 12V or 24V supply ? any observable bypass switch inside the power socket ?

N_Cook

ss

I dont know, but these requirements look pretty specific to me: Input: (100-240V 50-60Hz) 3.0A Max. Output: +24v-6A---12V-3A, doesnt show polarity but I am not sure. I cant believe they put out these requirements just to make you buy THEIR adapter, though there ARE postings out there showing that the adapters may not be all that reliable and the company doesnt seem to make them easy to get.

There appears to be a company in HK which has a lock on what they call "OEM" adapters (on every search engine I have got) and they all look identical, with identically positioned square placement DIN plugs. Some cost $26 or best offer, some cost $139 or best offer. (Dont think I have the capacity to do two independent power supplied with this plug) but on some of them, they do show 6v coming out of each of the pair. I would be prepared to believe that with something as complex as a TV which usually works on 120/240, some parts of it might be designed to work on 12v with others 24v? Where would the bypass switch come in (and what does it look like)?

Reply to
DManzaluni

There are a lot of sellers on eBay that sell "exact" replacement AC adapters and various OEM-type power supplies. Some of them sell directly from China, and some have very low prices and shipping costs. FWIW, eBay management is very proud to have established these direct China sources, and seems to be giving them some sort of favored status, IMO.

If you don't buy on eBay, you probably know someone who does.

If there is no symbol or label showing which pins need the 12V and 24V supplies, both the TV and the power supply will very likely be damaged if they don't match. You might consider seeking help from a qualified and experienced technician regarding the correct positioning of the adapter pins.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

I assume the original faulty PSU is not available to you?

If you can get the PSU from the same source as the TV then it should be repairable - the casing will either be held together with screws or glued on the seam. Screws are obviously easy, I've found that glued seams on PSU's will break open if you place a stanley knife blade flat in the seam and carefully hammer the back of the blade with the PSU placed on the opposite edge on a sturdy bench or table (usually only breaks the glue rather than cutting through the seam so unit can be re-glued after repair).

It's usually either the output electrolytics that fail or one of the lower value startup electrolytics (22uf or 47uf at around 50v near the control IC on high voltage side), change all even if no sign of distress (bulging tops).

Reply to
Nigel Feltham

No, I dont have access to the original one at all: I wonder if there is any reason why they sell 12/24 v ones for over $100 while others using their same casing cost as little as $26? They do look an awful lot like the same units wired differently inside! It cant cost THAT much to manufacture these can it? And they cant be basing their price on the new cost where the TV is now 4-5 years old?

Reply to
DManzaluni

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 08:57:20 -0700, DManzaluni wrote (in article ):

Pricing is all about demand, based on mfg. quantity and uniqueness (ie, how many TV mfr's buy this model of adapter?). Millions of this model = cheap. Thousands = expensive.

It's rarely based "how much does it cost to make it?". The answer is always "pennies".

Reply to
notme

ow

ap.

ys

Yes, obviously, but five years on, what distributor would want to hold on to stocks of them if someone e-mails him asking to buy one of them for a more reasonable price? Surely it is only worth pennies now?

Reply to
DManzaluni

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 18:40:38 -0700 (PDT), DManzaluni put finger to keyboard and composed:

I ask the same question of suppliers who hang on to CD/DVD laser assemblies costing hundreds of dollars.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 00:18:03 -0700, Franc Zabkar wrote (in article ):

Price follows inverted bell curve: High demand, high price. Moderate demand, low price. Low demand (scarcity), high price.

Yes, the supplier could easily override this model and give it to you at a reasonable price, but then again he could find someone who didn't quibble with his asking price. He's gambling...

Reply to
notme

demand,

I'm aware of the operationasl UK base of a large USA company that had this policy

Every 1 or 2 years, divide the stock levels of each of the largest component/numerous stocked small item spares by 2 , sell off half at auction and double the price of the remaining.

N_Cook