Need Help With TV

I have a Philips TV model 32MF505W/17 that has no sound. Something popped and smoked and when the sound stopped. The picture is still fine. I've taken off the back and took off the center metal cover. Everything looks fine there. There is another metal cover that I cannot take off without being a little inventive. Under that cover I suspect will be the amplifier board? There should be something visibly burned there but I can't see it with the cover in place.

If that circuit board is fried, is it possible for me to buy a new one and install it myself?

Reply to
Alex Thomm

Actually, it's a 32MF605W/17

Reply to
Alex Thomm

Did you connect up external speakers to this set?

Reply to
captainvideo462002

Are the sound line outputs also dead? If not, you can run them to a pair of amplified speakers.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

No. I used the set as both cable TV and computer monitor. When using it as a monitor, I used separate speakers that was connected to the computer.

Reply to
Alex Thomm

I'm not knowlegable enough to know if the line outputs are dead or not. Is there an easy way to find this out?

Reply to
Alex Thomm

Connect a pair of computer speakers, or run them to an aux input on a stereo.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

My computer speakers have a different connection. I don't have a stereo on hand with an aux input. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what I can dig up to test this out.

Reply to
Alex Thomm

hand

Does this TV have a headphone jack? If so, try it to see if you get sound there.

Reply to
Ken

Getting a rca to stereo miniplug adapter is trivial. Any target, walmart, radio shack will have them. Even a well stocked truck stop will have one.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

:

Nomad

te:

AZ Nomad

rote:

. =A0Is

eo on hand

dig up to

With all due respect, and I mean this in the most gentle way, if you don't know how to verify if you have a line output, how do you think you're going to troubleshoot an electronic circuit?

Reply to
captainvideo462002

With patience. I was a bit dense at first but I understand now. Thanks to all for the help.

Reply to
Alex Thomm

If something went pop, and magic smoke was released, there's a good chance that you will find that the side has blown out of the audio output IC. To an experienced engineer with appropriate desoldering equipment, and the skills to use it, replacement of such an IC is a trivial task. However, if you don't have those skills and equipment, which your post would suggest you don't, you will struggle to remove the old IC from the PCB, without doing damage to the tracking.

Unless you feel confident to do this, then I would go along with what others have said, and try running the audio line outs through an external amplifier, or take the TV to a reputable repair shop. If you do decide to pursue finding the problem, *please* be VERY careful . TV sets use switchmode power supplies, and these are VERY dangerous - actually potentially lethal ... :-(

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

That statement suggests to me that you have no business messing about inside a TV.

Reply to
Zap

I think that's what I already suggested in layman's terms.

What is tracking?

I am plenty confident. What do you suggest?

Reply to
Alex Thomm

Well, certainly there are other things that I would rather mess about inside, but right now I'm concerned with the TV.

Reply to
Alex Thomm

You did not suggest in your original post, in layman's terms or any other, that you knew it was likely to be the audio IC that you were looking for, or in exactly what way it would be damaged. You only said that you thought you would be looking for "something visibly burned". The reason that I told you that it was likely to be the audio IC, and that it may well have the side blown off, is that if you don't know what you are looking for, which clearly you don't, an IC damaged in such a way may not be immediately apparent.

I'm afraid that, much as I like to encourage people in the field of electronic repair, in this case I have to agree with others, that perhaps you should not be attempting to repair a TV set.

Without even the knowledge of what PCB tracking is (in this particular context, it refers to the copper "tracks" which interconnect items on the pcb), then I feel that taking on this repair, is beyond your abilities to do safely and reliably.

If you want to go one stage further, follow the wires back from the TV's internal loudspeakers. They will (probably) land on the main PCB very near to the audio IC, although that is not guaranteed to be the case, either. It will likely be a flat plastic device with around 12 to 20 'staggered' pins on it, and be bolted to a heatsink. Be aware, though, that there could be other ICs in there as well, which match the same general description ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

And you think you can fix it?

Reply to
PeterD

OK, I followed the wires back to the largest PCB. There are no heat sinks there. I think the best thing for me to do is post a photo of the circuit boards, but that will have to wait because my computer got infected with Anti Virus Live. What a mess! I can't do anything. It blocks everything that I try to do, and it still infects when I boot in safe mode. I'm typing this on my laptop and I have no way to transfer photos to it easily.

Reply to
Alex Thomm

Trying to fix something is better than slingin insults, which isn't all that productive, yeah?

Reply to
Alex Thomm