* Need HELP with Sharp Region Free DVD/VCR NC80- Set-Up *

Please help.

I live in the northeastern United States of America.

I recently bought one of the Sharp DV-NC80 Region-Free Multisystem DVD/VCR Combo which seem to be for sale all over the internet. (Just try a Google search). This units seems to have been originally intended for Regions 3 and 4.

I have the unit physically set-up properly with all the PAL to NTSC adaptors. The set-up is from my Satellite Receiver into the Combo unit then into my TV itself.

The PROBLEM I am having is I cannot get the "Adjusting the Video Channel" (p. 19 of the manual) to work. This means I cannot get a set-up screen on my TV to work with nor can I get any playback picture for DVD or VHS tape on my TV.

I can get as far as the channel selector options to appear on the unit, but all the channels given seem to be UHF ones. At this point, I do NOT know what to do!

The manual says I am suppose to get an RF pattern to appear on my TV screen. I am not sure what that is, but it is NOT all the static/noise I am getting on my TV.

I tried calling Sharp USA and they don't even know about this DVD-NC80 model!

Would someone PLEASE walk me through this? Thanks very much.

-Tom Sr.

Reply to
tomswiftsenior

The reason Sharp doesn't know about it is because sharp does not sell a region free player. It has probably beeb modified by the seller to be that way and Sharp does not support these mods. The unit is also not under warranty any more if that's the case. Contact the seller for advice. It could be something simple that simply was not made clear in the instruction manual in a way you can understand it.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

Yeah, I came to realize this. This was no warranty in the box.

I tried that. Talk about a major asshole. Kept telling him it won't work with my TV, that I could not get the DVD/VCR combo internal-set up to work with my NTSC television.

He kept saying he had one himself that worked perfertly with his TV. When I repeated my problem to him and told him if he got his to work find, than to explain to me exactly what he did to have his work. Repeated this several times to this and he would never answered.

I suspect he has a NTSC/PAL conversion device on his or a PAL/Multi-system TV or both or who knows what extra items to get his to work properly -- and won't admit to me the information he listed about the DV-NC80 didn't tell the full truth.

Decided I will sell the thing myself on eBay as I don't trust the dealer at all if I sent it back to him. Wouldn't put it past him to drop the thing on the floor and claim I sent it back to him that way.

So will sell on eBay and will list the reality/truth of what is needed to get this to work on a television set in the USA. Also had bought special PAL/NTSC adaptor plugs for it, to be able to physically hook it up, and will include them in the deal. Going to take a loss in selling it, no way to avoid that, but as I wrote, rather do it that way, tell possible buyers the truth, than risk sending it back to that asshole dealer and see all my money gone forever.

Thanks for your help, Jiver.

-Tom Sr.

Reply to
tomswiftsenior

[...]

What method of payment did you use? If credit card, paypal or similar you may be able to get your money back. Also where did you buy it? You should definitly report your experience, if he won't cooperate you may be able to get him nailed for selling illegally hacked DVD players, as much as I despise it, I believe the DMCA covers this.

Reply to
James Sweet