Need a smoke machine

Anyone have a good idea for making a smoke machine?

My car is 15 years old, and the buna is getting old and tired but they don't make a single kit of all the rubber parts which would be the easy way to avoid making my own smoke tools.

I keep getting a P0171/P0174 (bank 1 and 2 lean condition), which, for my engine, almost always means a crack in the complex hoses, tubes, and pipes, so I want to see if I can build my own smoke machine for about the cost of one diagnostic test by the pros.

A single professional smoke test is about $150 based on a dozen calls today (where most charge a flat diagnostic fee). And the dealer price for replacing all the hoses is estimated at far more than that one test.

I don't want to debate those two points here though (the pro diagnostic or replacing all the rubber) because my intent here is to ask for advice on building my own smoke machine for about one hundred dollars.

Just generating smoke is easy with a diesel glow plug shoved into a paint can with glycerin in it, but you have to generate dense smoke and you have to pump it under a few psi through the engine hoses.

Have you built your own smoke machine for around $100 or less? How did you do it?

Reply to
Tomos Davies

ay

s,

ay

There are a lot of videos on youtube that instructs in such a project. Smo ke machines are extraordinarily handy in "smoking" out leaks.

My son's Jeep Grand Cherokee has about 300K miles on it and needed to pass emissions (which demands no CEL). My buddy has a pro machine and found see ping hoses, mostly around back near the tank. No smoking gun (yep) but a l ot of tiny issues that an old high mileage vehicle will have.

Reply to
ohger1s

There are a bunch of sellers on ebay providing a pretty good device for $80 including freight. For the time and parts, you can't beat this. They also include a pressure regulator to make sure you don't blast anything in the evap system.

ohger1s

The troll is back.

Please do not feed the troll.

Reply to
pfjw

I often look on YouTube to find solutions!

Look here, Tomos!

The only people who make a difference are the people who believe they can.
Reply to
David B.

Buy a special effects smoke machine like the ones that always go on sale around Halloween and mash together some adapter fittings. I bought one on Kijiji for something like $20 Canadian(including a "bottle of smoke"

Reply to
clare

In , David B. suggested:

Nice link! Since I watched it, I'll summrize for those who didn't.

< 1 > Paint can < 2 > Drill two 1/2-inch holes in the lid < 3 > Screw in male-threaded quick-connect for air hoses < 4 > RTV them or put a nut to prevent air leaks < 5 > 3/8-inch tubing on the quick connect < 6 > Regulate air compressor to 2 to 5 psi to test for leaks < 7 > Wet half a rag with baby oil & place in the paint can < 8 > Light the top of the rag and cap the paint can < 9 > INLET is 2psi from the air compressor < 10 > OUTLET is 3/8-inch vinyl tubing filling with smoke Then on the vehicle < 11 > Pull off the power brake vacuum hose from the manifold < 12 > Remove throttle body tube & block the throttle body < 13 > Connect to intake manifold where the brake booster went < 14 > Look for smoke!

The theory is that the fire can be kept going with the air coming in from the compressor and the air pressure of 2psi will push the smoke through the vehicle plumbing.

The caution is that most air compressors don't have a regulator that can go that low reliably, and you don't want too much psi or you cause leaks.

I wonder if a diesel glow plug and hookup to the car battery will be better for generating the smoke from the rag soaked in baby oil (he said mineral oil is the same thing I think).

Reply to
Tomos Davies

In , snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca suggested:

They may work if they have about 2psi of air pressure (or if it can be bottled somehow to leak 2psi through a 3/8ths inch vinyl hose.

Reply to
Tomos Davies

There's an easier way to find a vacuum leak.

Disconnect the throttle control motor and spray the hoses with ether, which is starting fluid. When the RPMs go up, there's your leak.

This will set a code so if it is OBD2 you'll need a method to reset it.

Reply to
jurb6006

Around the engine yes, but there are vacuum lines running all the way back to the gas tank. I had a small evap leak code on one of my cars and it was a bad gas cap. No propane or ether would induce an rpm change back there.

Reply to
ohger1s

Use a propane regulator to regulate the pressure down to the 2psi range., and yes, most baby oil is "mineral oil" and yes a deisel glow plug can be used to make the smoke - just make sure it is a 12 volt glow plug, not one that is connected in a series string. I've got a fog machine - a little more elegany solution with less danger and still to a degree DIY - and a lot cheaper than the "made for the job" unit.

Reply to
clare

Not sure what the actual pressure is but it is enough to disburse the smoke throughout the system and not enough to damage anytging - particularly if you use a rubber glove as a "plug" on the intake system.As long as you are not "given the finger" by the glove, the pressure is safe - and you control it with the "trigger" button. I have not made the custom adapter yet, but I plan on making a sort of "heat exchanger" to fasten to the outlet to cool it before connecting the hose. An aluminum or copper "pipe" with fins fastened or machined on it.

Reply to
clare