Need a good computer assistance forum

Hi, My #2 home-office computer is an obsolete but still useful 450 MHz PC with Windows XP. It has "crashed and burned" (software wise!) and I have to put it back together again after an XP reload (I think I'll rename in Humpty Dumpty!)

Can anyone point me towards a good computer forum where I can get advice on free or shareware software and other IT help? I've not found a Usenet group that does this.

I need to get the following software types installed on the #2 PC right away and need some recommendations:

  1. Word Processor (I will mostly use MS Wordpad with .rtf files as I don't do clever formatting, also Openoffice WRITER is an option for when I'm sent MS Word files.) But my wife still need a way to open obsolete Wordperfect files (not sure our decade-old Corel Wordperfect7 CD will load under XP.)
  2. Spreadsheet (OpenOffice CALC will suffice - it opens .xls and .123 files)
  3. Presentation grahics (liker Powerpoint, which I can't afford.) Openoffice has IMPRESS - I've just made it work with a .ppt file, that's a step forward!
  4. Business card software recommendations (a Google search brings up a lot of trial ones - which is best?)
  5. IE for Internet (on XP CD)
  6. Email - all on Rogers-Yahoo webmail so no problem.

Anyway, rather than burdon the good people here, is there a Windows XP forum I can join to discuss all these questions? Thanks and cheers, Roger

Reply to
Engineer

Offline for a day or so for a refit, but the chatroom is open and the guys there are helpful.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron Johnson

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:10:24 -0700 (PDT), Engineer put finger to keyboard and composed:

Try alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt for PC hardware questions.

Try microsoft.public.windowsxp.general or other groups in that hierarchy for your software questions.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Engineer wrote in news:a6349364-2e2d-4848-8760- snipped-for-privacy@p58g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

There's a spot there for questions like yours, and a whole bunch of people who are happy to answer them.

FWIW, Office 2007 Student and Teacher Edition has Word, Powerpoint, and Excel and is price at around $150. It sounds like you make quite a bit of use of those types of programs, so it's probably worth purchasing. Think of it as an investment.

Puckdropper

--
If you\'re quiet, your teeth never touch your ankles.

Puckdropper

I've found expert help here:

-S

Reply to
Sofa Slug

Here in the 21st Century, learning to use a search engine is a useful skill:

Yup.

Again, learning to use a search engine is a useful skill.

Yup and yup.

You will find the Boolean NOT operator to be useful.

Anything that can retain the position of the stuff you put on the grid will do for "page layout", no matter how small the "page". Frankly, learning how to use a task-specific app for this seems foolish. OTOH, the general-purpose apps OOo Draw, Inkscape, or Scribus (DTP) could do this. All are GPL'd (gratis & libre).

While you're moving toward free, you could get (gratis & libre) Firefox or SeaMonkey. (AdBlock, FlashBlock, NoScript, etc. make surfing MUCH less annoying.)

Getting a Free Software operating system is something to think about as well. (Dual-boot to start?)

*-*-*-*&strip=1

SeaMonkey or Thunderbird. ..and Gmail allows you to use your local client.

Puckdr>

That site appears to be for software/web developers. I don't see a forum specific to any of the OP's topics.

If that spot exists, it's not obvious. A more specific link would have been nice.

That's $150 too much for commodity software apps.

In addition, I don't understand why people buy M$ products; that money will be used AGAINST you as Micros~1 purposely makes their products incompatible

--not only with competing products, but **with it's own previous versions as well** The MSFT attitude is

*Screw you if you don't buy into our perpetual-upgrade treadmill*.

Disagree strongly. The OP has already discovered that most non-vertical apps are readily available as gratis offerings (free as in beer). When you include the freedom of GPL, Free Software (not just "freeware") is a no-brainer.

If the OP hasn't discovered it yet, he will eventually find that some documents generated with previous versions of M$ software can't be opened with the current version of M$'s software. OTOH, OpenOffice.org has a reputation for being able to open those files, making it **more** M$-compatible than M$'s own apps (depending on your definition of "compatible").[1]

OOo 3.0 (just released) also includes support for .docx, .xlsx, .pptx, etc.

--MSFT's latest effort to (yet again) break compatibity. . . [1] A recent "update" to M$Office sought to "cure" the problem of lousy backwards-compatibility by disabling support for the old file formats. 8-|

Screw Microsoft.

Reply to
JeffM

Thanks for all the good replies! Support URL's noted. Since the OP I have downloaded (into #2 PC, my wife's) OpenOffice v2.9 (I think) and it (WRITER) not only opens Wordperfect but CALC opens Excel spreadsheets and IMPRESS opens PowerPoint presentations (I have a few) - presentations can also be created, useful. BTW, I also dumped the Norton suite from #2 PC as it seemed to be slowing things down. I loaded the free Avast! Home Version - working well so far. I enabled Windows firewall, too. I already have OO v2.4 (I think) on my #1 PC used for business - so I'll upgrade that to v2.9, or later, and stick to it for all bus. apps. Virus/Spyware protection on #1 PC will stay as Norton since the Avast! Home version is for only non-commercial use and I respect that. Fortunately, #1 PC (a 3.0 GHZ P4) runs Norton well with no glitches and Norton was "free" (sort of, it's in the rent!) from my ISP, Roger-Yahoo. Cheers, Roger

Reply to
Engineer