Need a dc converter

I need some help finding an off the shelf fairly compact dc converter board s that provides two adjustable outputs, one positive and one negative in or der to drive power op amps. The input supply will be 12 to 15 volts DC fil tered but unregulated (current not an issue), and the outputs I need are pl us and minus 5 volts at about 1200ma continuous. For logistical reasons, I 'd rather not build them as they are needed to modify some older industrial equipment, some of which is across the country, and there is quite a few o f them.

Reply to
str00ntz

It's been some time but I did see those in the Newark catalog, however righ t now I do not even know if they're still in business. If not, seems to me that WW Grainger should have what you need. Perhaps even Digikey. If you us e Google to find Digikey, make sure you go to the one that is one word, not Digi-Key. I have no idea who those people are, the one you want is one wor d Digikey. Their website is actually pretty good, at least you can get the price before going to checkout like some places.

Reply to
jurb6006

that provides two adjustable outputs, one positive and one negative in order to drive power op amps. The input supply will be 12 to 15 volts DC filtered but unregulated (current not an issue), and the outputs I need are plus and minus 5 volts at about 1200ma continuous. For logistical reasons, I'd rather not build them as they are needed to modify some older industrial equipment, some of which is across the country, and there is quite a few of them.

Adjustable or +/- 5V?

Look at XPPower's JTK1548D05 for a 9-36 V in, +/-5 V out @ +/- 1.5 A. Have used XPPower modules in the past, though not this particular model.

Reply to
Rich Webb

Those things are like fifty bucks.

Reply to
jurb6006

rds that provides two adjustable outputs, one positive and one negative in order to drive power op amps.  The input supply will be 12 to 15 volts DC filtered but unregulated (current not an issue), and the outputs I need ar e plus and minus 5 volts at about 1200ma continuous.  For logistical reas ons, I'd rather not build them as they are needed to modify some older indu strial equipment, some of which is across the country, and there is quite a few of them.

Do you need the +/- supplies to be regulated? Or can you make a "rail splitter" to give yourself a ground that floats between the power rails? (another power opamp could be the rail splitter.)

(You could do a rail splitter and then +/-5 volt regulators... but at

12V you start to run out of head room.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yes, that's correct.

The OP's requirements are rather incomplete but an encapsulated supply like this seems to be a reasonable swag for "industrial equipment." This presumably means that Very Bad Things Can Happen if it fails.

A low cost answer would be something along the lines of a 555-driven voltage inverter, a few filter caps, and 7805 & 7905 regulators, all wired point-to-point on veroboard.

Absent any specific requirements, I suppose either would do.

Reply to
Rich Webb

How about a Murata BEI15-050-Q12P-C for 18.52GBP at RS components or 32USD at Digi-Key? How much cheaper do you need, or lower quality can you accept?

Reply to
Martin Crossley