Need a button for Sony Cfd-s350

Greetings.....I've always been impressed at the depth of knowledge displaye d within this group so this might be the right place to ask my question(s).

I own a portable cassette player....Sony Cfd-s350.....that is in need of a new "play" button. I was able to easily lift out the broken button. The Son y website has the replacement button (through a company named Encompass) fo r a mere $2.32, but the postage is more than 3 times the cost of the part.

Does anyone know of a source where I can obtain the button without being pr ice-gouged on postage? Also, how easy or difficult is it to install the but ton? Will I be able to just pop it in or will I have to unscrew and disasse mble anything on the unit?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
mikespo

How much is it worth to you? Total price is under $10.

Would you spend $15 for the part if the shipping was free?

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

yed within this group so this might be the right place to ask my question(s ).

a new "play" button. I was able to easily lift out the broken button. The S ony website has the replacement button (through a company named Encompass) for a mere $2.32, but the postage is more than 3 times the cost of the part .

glue the old one back together or buy a new one - what else is there?

price-gouged on postage? Also, how easy or difficult is it to install the b utton? Will I be able to just pop it in or will I have to unscrew and disas semble anything on the unit?

you're the one with the mechanism, you take a look & tell us.

Reply to
tabbypurr

price-gouged on postage?

It cost the same to mail a $2 button as it does to make a 2K diamond (assum ing you're not adding insurance), so I wouldn't call it "gouging"

o just pop it in or will I have to unscrew and disassemble anything on the unit?

Look at the knob: if it has a flange wider than the space it takes to inser t it through the vacated opening, you'll have to remove the transport. OTO H, if it does require transport removal, you can Dremel the button down and snap it in from the outside if you don't mind the wider gap that will resu lt from the trimmed plastic removed.

Reply to
John-Del

ng price-gouged on postage?

uming you're not adding insurance), so I wouldn't call it "gouging"

It's Sony, of course they're going to 'gouge' you.

to just pop it in or will I have to unscrew and disassemble anything on th e unit?

ert it through the vacated opening, you'll have to remove the transport. O TOH, if it does require transport removal, you can Dremel the button down a nd snap it in from the outside if you don't mind the wider gap that will re sult from the trimmed plastic removed.

and the resulting weakness or dropping off tendency.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

nsert it through the vacated opening, you'll have to remove the transport. OTOH, if it does require transport removal, you can Dremel the button down and snap it in from the outside if you don't mind the wider gap that will result from the trimmed plastic removed.

Not true. None of those machines use anything else but the shaft to hold t he buttons on. If it pops off because the mechanism trades functions with a significant snap (that a bottom skirt might contain), a tiny bit of locti te or even a shmear of RTV will keep the button in place.

Besides, there's a 99 percent probability the transport does not have to co me out. Most of those buttons just push on the shaft and are held in by fr iction and no part of the button is larger than the opening. A few buttons are molded with skirts but the vast majority are not.

I've seen some high end machines with floating buttons but never on a botto m feeder like this one.

Reply to
John-Del