Name this knob

I didn't say it was variable. I said it's arbitrary, and the arbitrarily assigned value is more precises and repeatable now.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

I didn't say it was variable. I said it's arbitrary, and the arbitrarily assigned value is more precises and repeatable now.

************************

I don't need to argue semantics with you.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Correct, because arbitrary and variable have two very different meanings.

Arbitrary, Based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

All units are inherently arbitrary. The variable nature of them is only in the matter with which they have been redefined for greater accuracy and repeatably.

It's not like a meter has suddenly changed from 39.370079" to

40". Or has varied from 30" to 40" over the years.
--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Correct, because arbitrary and variable have two very different meanings.

Arbitrary, Based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

All units are inherently arbitrary. The variable nature of them is only in the matter with which they have been redefined for greater accuracy and repeatably.

It's not like a meter has suddenly changed from 39.370079" to

40". Or has varied from 30" to 40" over the years. *****************************

I'm not interested.

Bye.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Fox's Mercantile wrote: ___________________________

** Long time ago, it was decided to *define* the inch in tern of the cm. 1 inch = 2.54cm *exactly*.

so 1 foot = 30.48cm *exactly".

but 1 litre = 61 cu. inches is approximate, cos it goes the other way.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Methinks you mean Fizix.

Nope. Those are "natural units" or units based on the properties of things found in nature and are therefore not arbitrary. They are used mostly in Fizix and by quantum mechanics:

The remaining units are arbitrary and based on some base unit that is usually measurable, until the search for finer resolution brings the standard bearers into the quagmire of quantum fizix, where their standards run into problems with Heisenberg's uncertainty principle: where one can only measure what one cannot find, and the observer effect: where things move away if you try to measure them. As you might suspect, measurement standards based on sub-atomic particles, is a really bad idea.

Such difficulties have not stopped people from inventing their own units of measures, usually for some devious purpose: Unfortunately, it doesn't list the unit of measure that I invented and probably should copyright. Helen of Troy allegedly launched 1000 ships and was known to be the ultimate feminine beauty of her day. Therefore, I defined the measure of contemporary feminine beauty as the milliHelen, which would launch one ship. Of course, negative milliHelens are the measure of feminine ugliness capable of sinking one ship. So far, the beauty, fashion and entertainment industries have not expressed any interest in adopting my measurement system.

Another useful unit of measure that I invented is the Subaru Day(tm). The digital clock in my 2001 Subaru Forester runs about 10 seconds slow every day, making the length of the average day equal to 24 hrs,

0 mins, and 10 seconds. Rather than repair and calibrate my clock, I have invented a new unit of measure, which defines the length of my day to be 10 seconds longer than the traditional 24 hr day. In keeping with astronomical traditions, the Subaru Day will be synchronized with the solar day several times per year, usually on the day I do an oil and filter change.

I hope this helps...

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

On 3/4/18 7:06 PM, Gareth Magennis wrote: > > I'm not interested. > > > Bye.

Of course not. The willfully ignorant never are.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Psssst. I think you mean "past".

I don't like that expression. When I contrive something new, the first thing I do is research its past history and repeat all the old experiments. That's to be sure that they were done properly and that someone didn't just make a mistake in reporting a failure. I then proceed to invent my own mistakes, repeating them as needed, until I hopefully reach a satisfactory result. It's called perseverance where the acceptance of past failures is counter productive. A good example is the repetition of the Michelson-Morley experiment: where a substantial number of experimenters continue to improve the measurement precision in the hope of demonstrating that the speed of light just might be even slightly affected by the earth's motion.

Premature Judgement:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

None of this bullshit will do any good in nature. I am in the middle of the woods and dont have any tools. I want to measure the distance between two huge bolders. All I have to do is take off my shoes, begin by the first bolder and put one foot in front of my other foot until I get to the second bolder. After 32 foot steps, I arrive at bolder #2. I now know that the distance between those bolders is 32 FEET. How much more natural is that? The human body has a built in measuring device. You dont need no goddamn slide rules and computers to determine the earth's rotation or any of that nonsense. Just use the FEET that you got when you were born.

And never forget, the height of the horse that took you out into those woods is 15 hands tall. Measure from the ground, to the top of his withers, stacking you hands one on top of the other. You're horse is 15 hands tall. (The withers is the base of the neck where the mane ends, if you did not know that).

Even today, people measure their horses with hands. Using a tape measure is horse owner correct, and make you look like a fool. Real cowboys and cowgirls use HANDS.

However, if you want to cheat, and measure 60 inches with your tape measure, you have a 15 hand horse. (5 foot tall). One hand is considered to be 4 inches.

By the way, if your horse is only 10 hands tall, you better not be over

10 years old, because you are too heavy for that Shetland Pony.
Reply to
oldschool

I spend a month there one afternoon back in the 70's.

RwP

Reply to
Ralph Phillips

On 3/4/18 9:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@tubes.com wrote: > [ usual stupidity deleted ]

It's unfortunate you live under a rock, and you're too stupid to use tools.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

If I want to measure walkable distances without tools, which occasionally happens, I use yards or metres. Human feet are seldom a foot long.

Don't think I ever met a grown person with 4" hands.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Obviously it was a satire. Merle is cool. I like his music. Some people are just too goddamn serious.... and take everything literally. Bible thumpers are wayyyyy too serious..... The south seems like it's full of them types of people.

Reply to
oldschool

You stand no place of winning with the asshole you were replying to. I killfiled that Fox Killer long ago. People as hateful as him should not be allowed online, or in public. But some people were just born to be assholes I guess.

Reply to
oldschool

And some people are just too stupid to walk and breath at the same time.

To have someone like you call me an asshole is a badge of honor I wear with pride.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

The 'hand' is the width of the palm, not the finger span.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

[...]

Oh dear, hope this helps.

I was born in Germany. Parents are Polish. Ancestors are mostly Russian. I came to the USA when I was about 5 years old.

Just because we run everything, manage everything, own everything, and control everything, doesn't mean we have to arrogant about it. Being arrogant in public is a quick ticket to an immediate downfall, something Jews are well aware of. We may be the smartest, best, most powerful, and most knowledgeable, but it would stupid to mention it in public. It tends to attract attention, something we really don't need or want.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

This degenerated, but I do like the ability to estimate with body parts. 300 mm does nothing for me mentally. 30.0 cm does a better job.

The TS/OP can 3D print a part. Also look for ones that have already been done.

... Good thing there was no problem with changing from " cps, kcps & Mcps " to " Hz, kHz and MHz ".

Or was there .....

There was, sort of, I had a valve car Blaupunkt radio whose dial was graduated in increasing wavelength (Not frequency). That's the a RPN (reverse Polish Notation) radio vs an Algebraic radio that everyone uses.

Reply to
Ron D.

I always wondered who's feet they used to develop the original foot (as in 12"). Human feet vary greatly in size. Of course children have shorter feet and women usually do also. Adult males usually have feet as close to 12" as possible. In my case, I wear a size 11 shoe. My feet measure 10 5/8" from heel to tip of longest toe. To measure something with my feet, I'm best off doing it with my shoes on. They are very close to 12" on the outside. Of course that too depends on the type of shoe or boot. My big old heavy winter boots are over 13", but well insulated.

I met a guy once who needs size 15 shoes. Them are some big honking feet!!! :) He had to go to a special store to buy shoes.

That's Correct.

BTW In metric, my size 11 shoes would be 27.94cm (28cm). That seems totally awkward.....

But then there are men who prefer to measure their male organ in metric, because the number is larger, they seem to think it makes them sound more masculine. So the average 6" penis is now a 15.24cm penis... I'm sorry to say, but it's the same damn size, and it wont impress the women any more !!!

Reply to
oldschool

I have an American made AA5 in the shop that is also graduated in wavelength rather than frequency.

But my personal favorite is one with 1500 on the left and

550 on the right.
--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0