Name for a the plug on a printer

I got one of those all in one printers, scanners, etc. It's a HP model
C4480.

It plugs into the USB on a computer. Looks similar to a cellphone cord,
but the printer end is considerably larger.

The USB end is just a strandard USB plug. The end by the printer is a
squarish type of plug, probably a little more than  1/4" (both ways).

I'm asking because this used printer did not come with a cable, just the
power wall-wart cord. So, I need to get a cord on ebay or somewhere.

I dont know if these come in different configurations and sizes or if
they are pretty standard.

I'm pretty limited to buying the cord online, so I cant just take the
printer to a computer store and tell them to find me a cord that fits.

Is there a name for this kind of plug? It would be easier to buy one if
I had a name for it.

Thanks

Re: Name for a the plug on a printer

Does the connector look anything like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB-DATA-Cable-Cord-Printer-for-HP-Photosmart-C4390-C4450-C4480-C4740-C4750-/281592190551?hash=item419033d657:g:ZAIAAOSwYGFU0~FW

--

Rick C

Re: Name for a the plug on a printer

The flat connector is USB A and the square is USB B
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

You can get a 10 foot cable for less than $3 (including shipping) on eBay.

Re: Name for a the plug on a printer

I just grab them off printers lying on the sidewalk waiting for the
garbage pickup. Except they seem to have no use for things other than
printers, so I have a bunch that just do nothing.

   Michael

Re: Name for a the plug on a printer

The B connector seems to be the connector of choice for Arduino
and other IoT bits.
My MFJ-225 VNA has the B connector.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Those will generally be micro B, or mini B, not plain old B.

Re: Name for a the plug on a printer

The HP Photosmart C4400 series was initially released in 2007.
Therefore, you "got" a 10 year old printer.  Anything that old has had
considerable use, which means it full of crud and in need of cleaning.
Especially important and messy is the area UNDER where the ink
cartridges are parked when not in use or the power is off.  Ink will
drip into a felt pad and eventually pile up into a stalagmite until
hit hits the level of the ink nozzles.  At that point, the moving
cartridges spread the tar like dried ink mess all over the printer. If
the printer was transported upside down, it is likely you have a mess
to deal with.

It's not a totally horrible AIO machine, but I strongly suggest you
NOT purchase brand new expensive ink carts until you're sure that the
printer sections operates correctly.  If not, this might help:
<https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01442936
Buying cheap clone or refill carts on eBay works for me.  However,
I've had some failures and always buy from two different vendors to be
sure at least one works.  Good luck.

Just search eBay for "USB Printer Cable".
<http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=usb+printer+cable

The connector on the printer is USB 2.0 Type B.
<
https://files.cablewholesale.com/hires/10u2-022xx_24.jpg

Do NOT get it confused with a USB 3.0 Type B.
<
http://www.compusb.com/wp-content/uploads/images/products/p-2520-img_0295.jpg

Re: Name for a the plug on a printer

Thanks for all the info.

I paid $1 for it at a garage sale. The woman who sold it is a neighbor
who I know and trust. She said she got another printer with her new
computer, so she did not need this one anymore. She said the ink had run
out though, and it's expensive.

I did NOT buy it for printing. I dont really need a printer. I probably
print something about 3 times a year, and I just let the local library
print it for me at 15 cents a page, and it's on a high quality laser
printer. If I wanted a printer, I'd only buy a laser type.

I bought this printer for the built in scanner. I have some old photos I
want to scan, and I was quoted $3.95 per scan at a local business. I
know I can scan without the printer ink. In fact, I went to a WIFI today
and downloaded the drivers/software for it from HP's website. In the
process I found some videos about using it, and discovered that I really
dont need to connect it to a computer to scan. It has a place to plug in
a SD card, so I can just put my scanned photos on that card, and then
transfer them to my computer with a USB SD card adaptor.

Either way, I'm sure I'll get my bucks worth out of it.
Not to mention that a new (2017 model) printer may not work on my
computers, since my newest operating system is Windows XP.

Either way, if I can get a cord on ebay for $3 or so, I will buy one.
At least now I know what to buy.....

Thanks

Re: Name for a the plug on a printer

I was going to try to convince you that a laser printer is much better
than an ink sprayer for printing, but decided that I had said enough.

You might have a problem using it as a scanner if you don't have ink
cartridges installed.  Some HP printers of that era would notice that
your printer was out of ink, and produce a screen full of error
messages announcing that if you don't buy some new carts, the world as
we know it would suddenly end.  The problem was that the error
messages would not go away and would appear in the middle of literally
everything that you might be doing with the printer including
scanning.  If you get a "feed me more ink" message while trying to use
the scanner, you have the problem.  I know a few tricks to somewhat
circumvent this problem, but finding some cheap printer carts on eBay
will satisfy the printers insatiable appetite for ink, and make the
demanding error messages disappear.

Re: Name for a the plug on a printer

No convincing needed. I know a laser printer is much better. I was told
that the ink drys up in these inkjets too, and only last a half year or
maybe a full year. So if I print my usual amount of pages, which is less
than 20, I'd waste most of the ink anyhow.

If I still had one, I'd connect up an old dot matrix printer, just for
plain text stuff. The ribbons in them lasted years. They were cheap to
use and did a halfway decent job on text, but not pictures.

Either way, I'll just give the library $5 or less each year for
printing, and spend much less that way and wont have to cope with dried
up ink. Better yet, the library can print paper about 16 by 20 inches
large. Great for schematics. And it's still 15 cents a page.

I connected that thing earlier and scanned a piece of colored junk mail,
just to test it. I did not have it connected to the computer (obviously,
without a cable). It has a little LCD screen on it, and I saw the scan
on that screen, and no error messages. My camera is packed away in my
camping stuff, so I did not have a SD card handy. So, after I did the
scan, the printer seemed confused with no place to copy the image. I hit
"Print" and heard it chatter. Only then did an error pop up (No paper).
So, I think it will work as a scanner.

Site Timeline