N. Cook

I opened a Korg M1 keyboard the other day, to find a previous repairer had marked and written all over the PCB's.

Something along the lines of "N.Cook switches". And various pen marks beside screws etc.

Was that you, N.Cook?

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I mark ribbons and any reorientable screening and metalwork before disconnecting, thats about it, why would I "sign" my "work"?

Reply to
N_Cook

It happens:

Doctor Carved His Initials Into Patient, Lawsuit Says

analogdial

I found that signing and dating my repairs made it difficult for customers to present entirely different items as returns.

Reply to
Ian Field

----------------

** Recording serial numbers is the usual precaution against that one.

Plus recent repair work is generally visible.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

If it's done right, it shouldn't be.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

-----------------------

Phil Allis>

** Plus recent repair work is generally visible.
** I've only come across this piece of asinine garbage once before - and the guy who said it was a total idiot.

Electronics repairs are NOT "invisible mending".

It is a GOOD thing if repairs are visible, cos when you come across them then you know what was done.

Trying to make them invisible is 100% ABSRUD.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I think what the PP meant was you clean up the solder flux, etc.

One group of folks that might want repairs to be 'invisible' are the collectors of ancient radio gear. They often want to hide replacement capacitors in the original package. I can understand that, and will do it if any customers asked (and charge for the extra time) but hasn't happened so far. Then again if I was restoring my 1920's battery powered RCA Radiola (w/WD11 tubes) I would likely hide the modern caps that way too...

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

** Does not make repairs invisible - merely tidy.

BTW; PP = previous poster is a new one to me.

** That is restoration work - not repairs.

Repairers are free to use substitute components and generic types in lieu of the originals. To make an electronic repairs on consumer or most professional electronic invisible would take an extraordinary effort and result in unacceptable cost.

For no good purpose.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

John,

I had a 2 tube Crosley radio in 1970 that used WD11s with a tip. I couldn't find one back then. Noticed they are available now for $225.00.

Chuck

On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 12:28:00 AM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote: To make an electronic repairs on consumer or most professional electronic i nvisible would take an extraordinary effort and result in unacceptable cost .

Well I guess it all comes down to what the definition of "invisible" is (an d I'll not ask Bill Clinton..).

Most of my work is surface mount work, and other than the area of rework lo oking cleaner than the rest, my work is nearly imperceptible, but not on pu rpose.

I use a lot of flux installing a flat pack IC to insure excellent solder fl ow out and I always clean the area thoroughly with a fiber brush and aceton e. Yes, the cleaning makes the repair mostly invisible but it allows me to eye-loupe the repair looking for any solder bridges, unsoldered connection s, or questionable connections, and it takes seconds to accomplish.

Reply to
ohger1s

Taking a cue from the master of invective, "Hey Phil, I hope you get bone cancer and die."

I've seen too many previous repairs with broken terminals or tube socket pins, burnt wiring harnesses bad soldering and other completely crap examples of workmanship.

Or on newer stuff, lifted pads and burn marks on PC boards and excess flux and solder blobs.

Like the Hippocratic Oath, "Do no harm." There's no excuse for leaving a trail of destruction in the wake of a repair.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi
http://www.foxsmercantile.com
Reply to
Foxs Mercantile

There is... when what was there was a pile of charcoal. Then destruction is good.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Recent repair work could've been done elsewhere - warranty repairs for items someone else f***ed up is the oldest trick in the book.

Taking the back off and look if I signed and dated it is *MUCH* easier than searching through a notebook of longer than phone number serial numbers.

Reply to
Ian Field

We have a sticker we put on our customers' boards - it has the shop name, URL, and work order number (that # is added by pen along with quantity of boards 1/x, 2/x...x/x).

The sticker serves two purposes - helps us track board repairs when/if it comes back or customer has trouble, and it is advertising for the shop - that pays off big time as people buy and sell games all over the place and I keep getting notes from folks saying something like "I saw your sticker on a game I just bought - do you service or sell XYZ?"

John ;-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

As far as possible, I avoided dealing with Joe public.

My customers were small local businesses and recommendations kept me busy enough.

Some of them turned up with a van load at a time.

Reply to
Ian Field

-----------------------

** Wot a pedanict prick.
** Really - that must be really boring.

You do realise how rare it is for repairers to do SMD work ?

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

-----------------------

** You are one giant asshole - aren't you ?

** Completely off the subject.

That the best you got, Tex ???

** Got SFA to do with making repairs invisible.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I don't think too rare. Much of my repair work is SMD components.

Your not going to find too many through-hole components in professional video cameras these days...

The same goes for high end touring gear as well. While there are "standard" components, much is SMD these days.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

** It is very rare.

** Not the point.

Faulty SMD boards are replaced, not repaired, cos the latter is normally too expensive or impossible to do.

** Could you be more ambiguous?

You obviously work in a very special area and with lots of help from manufacturers.

In the real world, the manufacturer is in China and supplies no help at all.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison