N. Cook

too expensive or impossible to do.

You do what you have to do to live Phil. A lot of the boards I work on are for consumer level TV, and with the price erosion of the last few years, I can't afford to pay more for a board than a customer is willing to spend i n total for a repair. I can replace an AS15F gamma IC on an LCD TCON board in 10 minutes tops, and you'd have to look *very* carefully to see that it was replaced. I buy them 50 at a shot out of China for less than 0.50 eac h.

There are some boards that defy repair and those need to be replaced, but t hey are usually a break even deal at best, so we do whatever we can to avoi d replacements.

ll.

True. No schematics, no .bin files, no help. But we adapt by utilizing the datasheets for the ICs on the boards. Fortunately, manufacturers no longe r deface ICs and/or put house numbers on them, so using the "typical" circu it topology provided by the chip maker goes a long way in replacing the mis sing schematic.

Every main board that has a 25 series eeprom gets the .bin file removed, re ad, and stored on my computer (and backed up to half a dozen flash drives). A lot of main boards just have corrupted firmware, and I can pull an eepro m, reprogram it, and get it back on the board in 10 minutes.

I love getting guitar amps in because the guys want them back right away an d don't care a lot about cost. It's nice to work on parts that I don't nee d to wear opti-visors to repair.

I do the occasional "antique" tube radio because it's a lot of fun to bring these old timers back to life.

Reply to
ohger1s

-----------------------

** And crucially no spare ICs are sold, only whole PCBs.

What YOU claim YOU sometimes do is unheard of in this country.

Cos it is completely uneconomic.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

searching through a notebook of longer than phone number serial numbers. "

Even better, put the last four digits of the SN on the receipt which they must bring in to get warranty service. In some cases it is on a sticker, in which case you can etch it into something inside the cabinet.

Reply to
jurb6006

Different market. My shop fixes coin operated amusement machines, hourly rate is good, and people appreciate us as we are one ot he few professional shops around that deals with these games.

Other than our customers are mostly private we seem to get a lot of referrals.

We keep a wait list (285 folks on the list = bigger shop needed, so moving this week and next, and have to hire more people) - too many jobs!

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

I don't think too rare. Much of my repair work is SMD components.

Your not going to find too many through-hole components in professional video cameras these days...

The same goes for high end touring gear as well. While there are "standard" components, much is SMD these days.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

I don't think too rare. Much of my repair work is SMD components.

Your not going to find too many through-hole components in professional video cameras these days...

The same goes for high end touring gear as well. While there are "standard" components, much is SMD these days.

Dan

I am increasingly finding my work turning from linear PSU's and through hole components, to SMPS and SMD. This is mostly MI and Pro Audio.

So, you adapt or die. I now have a hot air station and a microscope.

I regularly replace SMD op-amps, multi pin flatpack USB and firewire IC's, and keep coming across new SMPS controllers. With these, you can just download the datasheet, which usually gives you an advisory circuit on it's use, which is very often pretty much what the manufacturer used for his design.

Agreed, there is NO support from ANYTHING coming out of China. No parts, nothing.

I struggled at first with all this, but actually quite like a challenge, and learning new things. And I have learnt a lot.

I would suggest anyone needing to make the leap from old school to current school check out Louis Rossmann videos on Youtube. He mostly repairs Apple laptops, all SMD. You don't have to like him, or his methods, but watch his videos and you will learn some skills you can adapt and put into good practice in your own world.

I have.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I am retired and never worked with the SMD. I watched many of the Rossmann youtubes to learn about how to work with the SMD. If you don't mind his tlk, he gives some very good ideas and teaching about them. I bought one of the microscopes he recommended and an inexpensive hot air and soldering iron station for about $ 65. While I don't think it would hold up under much usage, it works well for hobby usage. If I was using the tools to make any money with, I would buy a better hot air station.

There are several other good videos on youtube that show how to work with the smd. I think there is a woman named Jessica that does a lot of them.

I really like working with the smd better than the through hole devices once I find the problem. Found the kapton tape to keep the hot air off parts that are close in works well. It just takes the correct tools to make it easy to work with.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

[...]

Yep, once you learn what you need to do the job, then you can start to do the jobs, properly.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I don't know what you're working on, but there is *rarely* an IC that can't be bought on Aliexpress. I also buy LED chips for flat TVs a thousand at a shot for $20. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to identify these parts b ut they are available, and manufacturers no longer remove the OEM's number and replace it with a house number (fortunately).

I can't speak for anything in Australia, but I assume China ships to Oz, no ?

Can't speak for your country, but the only way we make money over here is t o replace at the smd component level. It is the *only* economic way to rep air over here.

Reply to
ohger1s

-------------------------

** There are massive numbers of them that cannot. All the older stuff and anything programed for starters.

I do not service TVs.

** Cut out he smartarse crap.

** Which, like I say, nobody here does and darn few elsewhere.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I'm curious now - where is "over here"?.

I'm guessing your average wage is under $5/hour.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Here in California, behavior like that on the part of any auto-repair business would be a violation of the law, and they could have their license pulled for doing it.

Here's the page on the legal situation and advice in California... other states' laws may vary.

They give some very good advice. In particular "Know Your Rights", and "Before you sign, be sure you understand the work the technician will do. Your signature means you agree to pay for the repairs up to the amount specified. Do not sign a blank work order."

A work order is a contract. As with any contract, the terms are largely negotiable, and it's not binding until it's signed. Signing a blank work order (one without an agreed-upon upper limit) is legally like signing a blank check. Not a good idea. Revising a contract offered to you, before you sign it, is your right: whether the shop chooses to accept and be bound by the altered contract is the and decision.

If the "fine print on the work order seems to say I'm authorizing anything they do", feel free to draw a line through it with your pen ("striking it out") before you sign. Initial and date the line-out when you do it, so it's clear that you removed it from the contract.

If they haven't filled in an amount for doing the estimate, ask specifically "What do you charge for investigating the problem and giving me an estimate for the repair?"

If they say there's no charge, write "$0.00" in the maximum- authorized-charge area before you sign it. If they give you a price, write in that amount.

Then, sign the authorization. Keep one copy.

At that point, if they do any work on the car, then they have accepted your contract as it was when you signed it. They're bound to the amount on the form, and can't legally charge you more than that.

If they go ahead and do a repair without giving you the estimate and getting your authorization, it's on them.

If they refuse to work on your car without having a blank work order... leave. Find another auto-repair shop. And, consider reporting the offender's behavior to your state's licensing organization.

[Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer Nor Do I Play One On Television. Check your states' laws to see how this situation plays out in your area. Know your rights, and your obligations.]
Reply to
Dave Platt

We don't have a law like that here in UK. Customers are routinely taken advantage of.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There is no such law here in the US. That sort of thing is regulated at the state level and good luck getting anything done about a shop without having to rent a car until the matter is settled.

--

Rick C
Reply to