Mystery part on schematic

This website discusses it, but never really identifies the part. This is the meter I am working on and I too wondered what the SA1 and SA2 parts are. I never saw that symbol.

Schematic on the webpage.

Reply to
tubeguy

Bear in mind Radio Shack doesn't make ANYTHING. They are a reseller. A lot of their gear, is branded Micronta or Realistic.

Secondly, Realistic and Micronta are Japanese suppliers. I wouldn't expect them to 100% follow US standards for schematics.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Wild guess: spark gaps for protection.

Reply to
John-Del

Despite posting the forum link where they are identified as Surge Arresters, Tube Guy posted the "what are they?" question over here.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

No one on that forum CLEARLY said what they are. Just guesses..... Guesses are not real answers.....

Reply to
tubeguy

Some sort of transorb, TVS diode perhaps. GH

Reply to
ggherold

Well, here's something 100% accurate: that meter is a piece of shit and of no real value to anyone who requires a good meter and knows how to use one. Total waste of time.

Reply to
John-Del

I have a whole pile of cheap meters as well as good ones. They're useful IME.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Like I said..

Reply to
John-Del

clearly not.

Reply to
tabbypurr

El jueves, 23 de mayo de 2019, 1:13:10 (UTC-4), snipped-for-privacy@myshop.com escribi

e:

is

ts

The first message of the forum link posted by you, clearly stated that the "mistery part" was labeled 39ZR07, and looked like a "disk green cap".

A quick search with Google threw this:

39ZR07D NTE Equvilent NTE1V025 MOV 25V RMS DIA=8.5MM 1.7 JOULES ITM=250 A CLAMPING VOLTAGE=80V

So it's just a MOV.

Reply to
lsmartino

t and of no real value to anyone who requires a good meter and knows how to use one. Total waste of time.

ful IME.

FWIW I bought them to dot them around in various places where formerly I'd have had to go fetch a nice meter or forego using one at all. They can go w here loss or damage are a risk with little concern. They've saved time & en abled quick easy repairs. I don't normally need accuracy or a CAT 3 rating to get something working. They paid back their cost (2.44 each) in a few da ys IIRC, an ROI that's hard to beat. Any engineer should be able to undersa nd the utility of that.

Yes I require accuracy at times, and have the datrons to do that. These tid dlers are not for those occasions.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

paid back their cost (2.44 each) in a few days IIRC, an ROI that's hard to beat. Any engineer should be able to undersand the utility of that.

I have 4 or 5 of the 'Free' Harbor Freight metes. Verified them against a Fluke meter that was verified against some very high accurate lab gear. The HF meters are not that far off and work fine especially for a go/no go test. Does it really matter if the house voltage is 120 or 123 volts ? I have on in my truck and some in places around the house as I don't want to go the shop on the basement for a better meter.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

My HF meters are all pretty accurate, as long as the battery is fresh. My yellow ones do not have any low-battery indicator, so the only hint is when the readings do not make any sense (which may be a challenge for an inexperienced user).

Reply to
jfeng