Mystery Component

TO-92 package

markings:

"650" "B24"

I've got dozens of them. Wondering if I can use them for anything.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ How do I set a laser printer to stun?

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

On a sunny day (Wed, 30 Jan 2013 20:16:28 -0800) it happened "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in :

Why not measure one? PNP-NPN? Beta Build a curve tracer (Vce breakdown).

:-)

Oh, Ft..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Quick NPN PNP determination with a meter in diode test mode. Allow for base in center or to one side. Fets show a body diode in reverse and touching the meter between G-S will store enough charge to measure some forward conduction D-S. Grab the leads with your fingers to drain the charge and D-S should look open. Even nicer if your meter has a transistor tester function that gives a figure of merit on beta. Nothing beats a curve tracer though. I've got a 30 year old sencore one.

Hard to say if it's a house number but looks like it. When you buy enough or pay enough, vendors will private label. Saw that all the time when I worked with mil-spec stuff.

Reply to
Oppie

Which begs ( for ) the question: Has anyone attempted to develop a method for identifying components simply from their characeristics?

Plug a BJT into a test socket, drive the pins, measure the traces, feed the results into a database, and out pops...

"It's a 2N2222A, dummy!"

Hm... is there a way of testing ( say ) a BJT's BVce "gently", that is, so that it doesn't _stay_ broken down?

Jes' curious.

Frank McKenney

--
  Nearly every feature of the American system of manufacturing, from
  the elements of the new textile machinery to the concept of

On a sunny day (Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:00:32 -0600) it happened Frnak McKenney wrote in :

Ferry Lon Taim AGOH I designed and build a transistor curve tracer. Was just not much work, and boss wanted one. To keep dissipation in limits you need to use low impulse duty cycle. It could find NPN or PNP automatically. No micros at that time, just relays and logic, output to a normal xy scope.

I am sure with a PC these days you could look up things in a database, and have a better display.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Sure, a real BJT (perhaps excepting some RF exotica) can be pushed beyond BVce so long as current is kept low. You can see this quite nicely on a curve tracer if you have access to one. I haven't heard of any problems with devices "abused" in this way, not even MTBF.

BVeb is another matter. Breaking down EB junctions reduces beta, increasing noise and may lead to shortened MTBF. Supposedly forward biasing "anneals", but I don't know if it's completely reversible. IIRC its a function of total-reverse-charge, so you should be able to go into a very limited breakdown for a short time without "significant" damage - perfectly sufficient for a tester.

-F

Reply to
Frank Miles

Apparently Peak-Atlas are marketing a (massively) upgraded version of their

3-terminal component analyser, it has a USB port for connection to a PC (I think it may actually do curve tracing).

The original version I bought about a decade ago will at least tell you if a device is transistor, MOSFET or just a pair of diodes - anything more complex and it'll just report "unrecognised or faulty component".

Reply to
Ian Field

Reply to
notme

Also how to tell you have a "digital" transistor in front of you?

Reply to
N_Cook

On a sunny day (Fri, 1 Feb 2013 10:42:07 -0000) it happened "N_Cook" wrote in :

WTF is a 'digital transistor'?????????????????

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

is,

beyond

problems

go

Exactly, thats how they are referred to in UK listings, and without any " "s

Reply to
N_Cook

On a sunny day (Fri, 1 Feb 2013 11:36:40 -0000) it happened "N_Cook" wrote in :

Well, cannot help you there, but a transistor is a transistor, no matter what is written on - or about it. A rose is a rose by any other name (to keep it UK related).

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Transistor with base resistor(s) built in. Eg.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Fri, 01 Feb 2013 08:06:21 -0500) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

OK, but that is actually an integrated circuit. Just mis-labeled 'transistor'. :-)

You can still test those with a multimeter and lab supply. On a curve tracer for transistors it would look strange I'd guess.

If you see reverse conductance in base emitter junction with an Ohm meter, that would be an indictation. If that resistance was the same both ways, more so.

I'd probably toss it :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 01 Feb 2013 13:17:42 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

PS, some of us here will remember RTL logic. That was pretty much like that, but more transistors to make gates, and output R too. Integrated circuits.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Its a regular transistor with built in resistors - some are exactly described that way rather than "digital", the most common arrangement is a B-E bleed resistor + a base series current limiting resistor.

They are often used directly as an open collector inverter gate.

Reply to
Ian Field

My first job was component level fault finding on Olympia desk calculators, they contained about 4 boards of DTL - a 5th board at the back was critically sensitive MOS shift registers. The boards were about the same area as S100, but wider & not so high, the front board had about a dozen nixie tubes.

I must've just missed out on RTL by not all that long, it was only just becoming scarce in component catalogues of the day.

Reply to
Ian Field

Any idea what $169 is converted to GBP?

Reply to
Ian Field

Ian Field Inscribed thus:

Just over £105.00p

--
Best Regards:
                        Baron.

On a sunny day (Fri, 1 Feb 2013 16:46:09 -0000) it happened "Ian Field" wrote in :

Thanks. Spehro even gave a link to a datasheet.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje