My wife picked up a TV

If you live in my state, your wife would not be doing you any favors, because we have to pay to dispose of tv sets, and it's not cheap.

Not sure what's inside that thing, but if there is a power transformer, save that. Heat sinks, the line cord, possibly any power transistors if they are screwed on. I suppose you could even unsolder resistors and caps if you're real patient.

DOES IT HAVE A POWER TRANSFORMER? (I dont know?, since I never tore one of them apart and wont work on them).

I actually look for old tube tv sets though. I save the power transformers, output transformer, and all the tubes. The yoke goes in my copper recycling box, to sell. I salvage some resistors, pots, and things like terminal strips. The metal chassis can be sold for scrap metal. (not worth much, but it's recycled). Because I live in the country, I burn the plastic or wooden cabinet parts. The CRT is the hard part to get rid of. I put it in a cardboard box, and smash it. Then that goes in the trash (kind of hidden).

Either way, there is a lot more salvagable in the old tube sets for someone (like myself) who works on tube stuff. I would not even consider picking up something like you got.

Reply to
oldschool

My wife thinks I can fix anything. Well I can't. She picked up this TV a few days ago, I finally plugged it in. Looks like it fell over and broke. Here's a picture of the screen.

What part broke? Do these have the Fresnel lens over the screen. I might salvage that. What other parts can I salvage.

Mikek

amdx

No, because you're an asshole.

See above.

The EPA was founded because of people like you.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

I hate to burst your bubble, but guess what. If you lived in the country, you would also burn your garbage. Of course in your case, you'd probably let it pile up and attract rats, because rats are probably the only friends you have....

We also burn wood to heat our homes. I suppose you find that offensive too. Then again, you strike me as nothing but a grouchy old a rude asshole looking to find fault with others so you can pick fights on newsgroups. I know your type. However I dont come to newsgroups to start trouble, I come here to discuss the topic of the group in a friendly manner. People like you are the reason people like me have kill filters. And you just earned a place in mine....

One other thing, If I dont burn my trash, it will be burned at the local landfill. They charge big money to haul away trash, sort out the metals, and burn the rest, creating an ugly mess, covering acres and acres of land, which will be there forever. I sort out my metals, recycle them, and burn whatever burns, leaving nothing but a small pile of ashes, which I bury every few years, and is never seen again.

But I'm sure an old grouch like you cant comprehend that. You live in a big city where everything is done for you. You have no clue where the trash goes once it's removed from your property and have no clue where your food comes from either.

Goodbye!

Reply to
oldschool

The last one she picked worked perfectly. I had to buy a $12 remote control. We have been using it daily at our business with out any problem for almost a year now. Mikek

amdx

The LCD/LED panel has broken. This is not worth an attempt to repair. The replacement panel will cost more than a replacement TV. Send it back or otherwise dispose of it.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

Or sell the boards on ebay. List the model and part number for each board. You may make enough to buy a new TV.

Reply to
tom

You're an amazingly ignorant f*ck.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Foxs Mercantile

We can blame the government for a lot of these problems. Here is why. There was a private company that used to take in used electronics, particularly computers. The tested everything that came in, and would fix stuff that was easily repairable. They had a store, where anyone could buy an entire computer system for $20 to $50, they wiped and sold all the hardrrives that worked, sold mice, keyboards, computer boards, RAM, power supplies, modems, and you name it. They sold old vintage radios and even some old test equipment and sometimes some electric motors and other stuff like that.

The idiot state government shut them down, so they could make a lot of money by charging everyone $20 or more (per piece) to get rid of electronic waste. A TV costs $20. A computer is (I think) the same, and if that computer includes a monitor and printer, that's 3 items, or $60.

All the stuff that was being recycled and re-sold in that store is now going to the landfill. What a damn waste. I used to love going to that store, and shopping for cheap electronic stuff. And if something failed within 2 weeks it could be returned and exchanged for something similar.

Heck, when they were forced to shut down, I bought the stuff by the box. Like a whole box of harddrives for $20, and a shoe box size of RAM for $10, and so on. I still have 20lbs or so of all the small screws and nuts they had collected from computers. That's been real handy to have.

What we have now, are tv sets. computers and whatever else being tossed in the ditches along rural roads, because people dont want to pay the disposal fee. The same is true for tires.

It's a dirty shame. That company was not only profitable, fun to shop at, but it employed 20 or 30 disabled people, who took that stuff apart, tested the parts, and ran the store. It's been about 10 years since the damn state ruined that business and got greedy.

I dont know which plastics contain chlorinated materials, but I can guess PVC is one of them (from the name).

We do not have any garbage pickup here, but for a huge price, I could hire a private company. So, I have little choice but to burn paper and plastics. But I do recycle all metals. On the rare occasion I have to dispose of a CRT, I smash it in a box, and toss it in a dumpster at some local business. I really do not know what else I can do.

One thing I do have to say, is that it's time they stop manufacturing harmful plastics. Yea, I know PVC is useful for plumbing, but what about all the packaging. Everything we buy is packed in plastic waste. I am also the first person to complain when I go to a store, but one item and the idiot clerk puts it into a plastic bag. One local store, the employees are required to ask "Do you want a bag?". Unless I really need a bag, I always say "NO". Then some of the idiot clerks put my stuff in a bag right after I said "NO". That's when I tend to get a little rude and say "I just told you NO BAG, remove it from the bag"....

In my opinion, all the EPA is good for, is to take money away from private people, in the name of environment protection. If they were doing any good, they would attack the producers of all the harmful packaging and work to find safe alternatives.

Reply to
oldschool

Hey Old School, Where I live is semi rural and on an island. Because I'm on an island trash is expensive to get rid of. So some people burn it because they can get away with it because of the low population density. However, I don't burn anything except wood and bushes. I know the old way was to burn everything yourself and then bury the ashes. But I would strongly encourage you to not burn plastics. Especially any of the chlorinated plastics, which are quite common. When the plastics are burned with paper or wood dioxins are formed. Dioxins are bad stuff and even a very small exposure can have really bad health affects for certain animals. Humans being one of them. And I would also urge you to not break up and toss TV tubes. They are loaded with lead in the glass, several pounds. This lead will leach out into water that is even slightly acid. I know, it's not the end of the world if you throw it away and if you burn plastic. but it does add to the crap we put in our environment and we are seeing the effects of all now. And if your dump is burning stuff in the open air it is almost certainly not lined to prevent runoff. By the way, where do you live that they still burn garbage in the open air? I can't think of anyplace anymore that does this in the USA. I'm also a little surprised that you can't recycle electronic waste for free. Even here on an island virtually all electronic waste can be disposed of for free. And they do take CRTs. No charge. Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

This sort of back-and-forth it typically between those who *do* remember wh en rivers ran orange, caught on fire, or actually gelled, when entire hills ides downwind from smelters were dead - and those who do not.

I have lived on/around three major rivers (Hudson, Susquahanna & Delaware) and our summer house is on a large creek. All three of the majors were open sewers not so very long ago, all three of them now are reasonably clean an d produce edible fish. Our summer house creek narrowly (very narrowly) avoi ded mine-runoff pollution (a total 'killer') in the mid 1990s. All due, spe cifically, to the efforts of the EPA, and its state brethren. The present i ncumbent in the White House just lifted the runoff regulations that saved o ur creek - happily the mining that would have caused it is now gone and the mine is a tourist attraction (and making more money by this than as a mine ). But, those in West Virginia may not realize the same outcome.

It really does not take much. A single incident of run-off will destroy a l iving stream for 50 or more years.

Burning trash: Not a good idea. Sure, cardboard for kindling, perhaps. But food trash - not in bear country. Plastics - the amount of poison spread ou t in the ash and smoke is stunning - but your neighbor is the one stunned, as I am sure you burn on the edge of your property so the smoke goes elsewh ere.

And so on and so forth.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Rather than just berate him you could try explaining that burning plastic and wood and especially wood with various paints and varnishes dumps incomplete combustion products into the air. Large scale burning of waste is done at high temps that completely burns to CO2 and H2O so there is much fewer toxins in the air and the ash. But heavy metals and other toxic compounds remain in the ash. With industrial processes the ash is treated like what it is, toxic waste.

--

Rick C
Reply to

What makes you think the "government" shut them down? More likely they just weren't viable and went out of business.

Sounds like a good reason to tear computers and such to pieces and dispose of the components. It takes maybe 5-10 minutes to disassemble a computer to circuit boards and small boxes and sheet metal. If there is no law against tossing pieces, then you are good to go. With RoHS there is very, very little harmful substances in electronics now.

If the business model was viable you would see them all over the country. You don't so...

I really would like to know how you can say the state "ruined" that business.

Lol! You don't want to pay to dispose of your trash, so you illegally toss it in someone else's dumpster?

It is *very* easy to control manufacturers. Don't buy their stuff. If we don't buy it they will stop making it. If you don't buy it you don't have to worry with the waste.

Really? This makes sense to you?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Even the Catholic Church - not known for open policies and easy acceptance of alternate truths has a term for this sort of situation:

Invincible Ignorance.

Old School is a self-admitted thief & polluter, generally a fool whose root s are firmly set in the 50s, believes in the concept of "the good old days" (they never were) and is pretty much a lost cause. Not much short of an in tellectual cattle-prod will get through his shell, and that only by repeate d and assiduous application.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H.L. Mencken

Reply to
pfjw

And this is why I said: "You're an amazingly ignorant f*ck."

Now you know.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Foxs Mercantile

Hey, I listed three PCB's from the TV on Ebay on Sunday, I got offers on two of them today. I ask $65 for each pcb, I got a $50 offer on one and a $45 offer on the other. I accepted both rather than sending away a buyer. Fedex has them now.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

ack

rd.

That's the good news... here's the bad:

A lot of people do their own diagnosing or follow someone's (alleged) succe ss on youtube and always assume their TV has the same issue. What happens is they buy the wrong board, or the TV doesn't need a board at all if the d isplay itself is bad or has an open LED in the display or a wiring issue in side.

Recent Samsungs are known for LED failures. It would not surprise me if you don't get a return request on one or both of those boards. My dad always told me not to count my chickens before they're hatched.

Good luck.

Reply to
ohger1s

That's today's internet. "Skill sharing" is really someone who knows what he's doing writing it down for others (or making a video) and everyone else is fine, so long as things stay on the same path. But if they fall off, they are lost, because they don't know how to troubleshoot, just swap boards.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

This was an LCD TV for what that's worth. One board was bought by a TV shop, the other by an individual. And count my chickens, I already gave the money away. Saw this young women on Youtube and was inspired so much I made a donation.

She has about 40 videos of her travels.

If you find her story inspiring send her some cash.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

r.

back

oard.

ers

uccess on youtube and always assume their TV has the same issue. What happ ens is they buy the wrong board, or the TV doesn't need a board at all if t he display itself is bad or has an open LED in the display or a wiring issu e inside.

you don't get a return request on one or both of those boards. My dad alw ays told me not to count my chickens before they're hatched.

Selling to TV shops is the best way to sell boards, but even they sometimes make a guess. Paypal is notorious at siding with the buyer on just a comp laint, reasonable or otherwise.

Yes, your TV was an LCD, but other than the extraordinarily rare OLED, most TVs are LCD. The first LCD TVs were simply called LCD as opposed to the o ther flat screen tech at the time: plasma.

These TVs used CCFL tubes for back light illumination as LCDs are shutters and don't generate any light (unlike plasma and CRT).

Later, when manufacturers found a cheaper way to build back lights, they st arted using LED arrays to provide the back light for the LCD panel. These TVs are generally called LED, but they are still LCD TVs and use the same s creen.

In the service trade, we refer to earlier LCDs as CCFLs and later ones as L ED TVs.

The point of this is although you didn't post a model number, that model lo oks like an LED LCD, not a CCFL LCD. If it is an LED back lit TV, LED fail ure is common and when an LED opens, there are various symptoms, most of wh ich duplicate bad power supply or bad main boards.

Reply to
ohger1s