My VRDS-7 doesn't read the TOC

Hi everybody, I'm trying to repair an old cd player, based on a VRDS-7 TEAC mechanic. The problem is: when I put the disk (both original or cdr), the drawer closes, the clamp loads the cd, the laser moves towards the center of the disk and the disk starts spinning. After 4-5 sec, the disk stops and the laser goes back to the home position (out of the disk area). The track display shows '0'.

I cleaned the lens with iso-propylic alcohol and I can see the laser red spot if I side-watch at the lens in the dark. I marked the original position of the focus and track gain trimmers and tried to move them, with poor results: the player makes some different noises and seems to work a bit harder looking for the toc, but with no different result :-( I haven't looked at the laser eye diagram yet as I have no scope @home. I don't know if it is a focus or track problem, or is a laser fault... Does anybody have any idea? Any help will be highly appreciated.

Tony

Reply to
no

Those symptoms are pretty typical of a worn laser. Looking at the eye pattern may help with diagnosis. If you can find a marked test point for it, most manufacturers have the level there pretty much 'standardised' at about

1v p-p.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Arfa Daily ha scritto:

Thanks Arfa, I'll bring the player @work and scope it. I don't know how the TP1 test point pinout, but found the RFO pin on the Sony ICX1367 This transport uses Sony KSS-240a laser pickup. I've read on the net that Sony made 3 different versions of it and that not all fit the VRDS-7. Do you know how to avoid buying the wrong spare part? Regards, Tony

Reply to
no

The KSS-240A is readily available - I get them from East Coast Transistor Parts. 1-800-645-3516. They run about 35.00 plus freight. They're a little more expensive because the 240 includes the RF amp, laser power, tracking adjustments, RF balance etc all together as part of the pickup assembly, unlike cheaper pickups like the KSS-213.

Mark Z.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Mark D. Zacharias ha scritto:

Thank you Mark! Do you know anything more about the 3 different Sony versions of the KSS-240A and how to recognize the correct one? I found it on some german/uk spare part sellers too (I live in Italy and shipping is likely faster), even at lower prices, but I'm wary of them.

Tony

Reply to
no

I've never seen any of the usual parts suppliers quoting anything other than a 'standard' KSS240A. I've certainly never ordered them as anything different for any of the many I have fitted. As Mark says, the RF amp and adjustments are mounted on the laser itself which makes it a bit more expensive, but note that these pots are factory set, and are NOT intended to be adjusted. The laser should be fundamentally 'drop in and go'. The '240 doesn't even have a laser shorting point for transport. FWIW, the '240 was never one of the most reliable lasers. I have also seen them as "NKS240A" much cheaper, and as 'second source' cheaper than a genuine Sony type. Personally, with this particular laser, by experience I would recommend that you only buy a genuine Sony manufactured part. It says so on the box, and I guess you would be able to check with the supplier before parting with your cash.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

What he said. Should be a pretty standard KSS-240A.

mz

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Mark D. Zacharias ha scritto:

Thank you all! I'll buy a new original laser and let you know. Tony

Reply to
no