mp3 player will not play songs

Hi Problem started after I re-formatted the mp3 player to act as abootbale device to fix a PC.

I wanted to reuse it as a player so I reformatted it as FAT16 - didn't work then tried reset it using its special button

I copy/sync files to it ok and they play off the stick using a PC. However when I try and play them using teh player itself it doesn't work. The light flashes (like the song is paused and thats it).

tried loading latest firmware doesn't load (bandflash type returned by HWSC is not supported by the firmware)

The mp3 player is Lavod MusicTube LFA-299x - their website no help. Email support link is broken.

Any help would be appreciated

Reply to
Yitzak

No help I'm afraid, but I know exactly how you must be feeling. How many times have we all tried something like this, only to get that horrible sinking feeling when it all fails to come back as it was ...

My iPod Touch seems to screw up into a locked condition every time there is a software update for it. There then follows a half hour of anxious butt-clenching, as you put it through its 'restore' function, and watch all its settings disappearing ...

My condolences on the loss of your player ... :-(

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

is

ll

Arfa - I think I will have to take it out to the yard with my shotgun and quickly put an end to her misery.

Reply to
Yitzak

The OP might try some partition software to see if any of the flash is viable. Then repart it if so then format. My theory behind the fail in some of these devices when used outside their design purpose is the combination of an error correcting/wear leveling controller for specific flash file systems over NOR flash block. Putting a master boot record on the device might confuse the controller unless the design was anticipated that one would do so as in a USB pen drive. I own a 4 gig pen drive with Puppy Linux completely bootable and operational on the pen drive.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Hi!

Many of these devices require some "special magic" in the formatting process that only their firmware knows how to perform.

Lots of digital cameras are this way as well. I once diddled a 32MB Memory Stick by goofing around with formatting it as NTFS. (I was curious if I could do so. Turned out I could. And then something went wrong, leaving the memory stick in a confused state that nothing could put right. In hindsight, this was a stupid thing to do and I got exactly what I had coming for trying it.)

What you should do is try to find an option in any configuration or settings menu on the device that would allow you to reformat it. This should restore order, although it will cause the loss of all data. Resetting the player will not be enough--you need to reinitialize its storage memory.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh