of

iron,

he

usually

and

longer

If

be

Leaving aside the enjoying fixing things, I envy your ability to do. Sometimes fixing is the only choice, and I've never been good at it.

apart.

I might not have succeeded, but that's the kind of thing I might have tried to fix. I would have suspected lint, and if my suspicion was right, fixing it would probably have been easy. And worst case, if I failed, I'd just buy him a new one.

Reply to
Ken Blake

I think you probably would have succeeded, It was fairly straight forward (no loose parts flying everywhere), Don't undersell yourself, I'm 85 and can still do it.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Lamontagne

dream of

iron,

he

If

that

Logitech

replaced

at

($20).

usually

and

longer

of

and

age). If

I'll be

and

Logitech

naturally

apart.

like

We're almost the same age. I'm about to turn 82. But my thought that I might not succeed is not based on my age. I've never been good at working with my hands.

Reply to
Ken Blake

[]
[]

Well, never without my choosing; in theory I could accidentally send the wrong one (the Followup and Reply buttons are adjacent), but I don't think I've actually done that in several decades of using it. What it won't do is send _both_ at once, as its designers felt strongly about that - irritating as I _occasionally_ _want_ to.

Well, s/he's not exactly inviting, just pointing out that if you _do_ decide to send an email, that her email is munged. []

--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/
Reply to

Guess I'm lucky, my hands have been my living But my eye sight is piss poor, born that way.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Lamontagne

as

The buttons are adjacent here too. I've occasionally done it accidentally, but I've always caught it and fixed it before I pressed Send. I use Outlook e-mail, not Agent's, so the Windows look very different.

and

I'm almost sure it's a she, but I can't remember her name.

I suppose it's technically not an invitation, but to me, telling the reader how to do it is so close to an invitation that I have no problem with calling it that.

It's sort of like, "If you want to send me a check, my address is ..."

Reply to
Ken Blake

Hi Paul,

Here are more pictures of that IBM mouse, which I'm still using now that I refurbished it (although I had to glue a side stick on it to keep my fingers away from the right mouse button since it's a poor design for huge hands like I happen to have).

Anyway, here are the pictures I took when I disassembled it:

The tilted LED simply lights up the middle mouse button (AFAICR).

If you want, I can snap a photo of the side stick I glued on to make it less error prone, where I learned that it's critical for a mouse to have a landing space for your right-mouse finger to "rest" without being too close ot the right mouse button itself.

Reply to
Arlen _G_ Holder
[snip]

People doing that inappropriately (and not indicating it) is one reason I stopped putting a valid email address in newsgroup postings.

On usenet, I use addresses ending in .invalid so its obvious its not a real address.

Another suggestion is to read your posts before pressing 'send'. It catches a lot of the weird typing and other errors.

[snip]
--
71 days until the winter celebration (Wed, Dec 25, 2019 12:00:00 AM for
1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Faith is a cop-out. It is intellectual bankruptcy. If the only way you
can accept an assertion is by faith, then you are conceding that it
can't be taken on its own merits." -- Dan Barker
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Not only is it obvious, but it's the only proper/standard way to do it, as .invalid is a standard-defined [1] top level domain (TLD), which is guaranteed to never be used.

RFC-compliant 'mailers' (Mail User Agent (MUA)) will not even try to send a message to an address with an .invalid TLD.

[1] RFC 2606 "Reserved Top Level DNS Names"
Reply to
Frank Slootweg

Yes, you can get replacement switches for the buttons, this is the classic symptom of worn-out switches. It seems all the mice and trackballs use essentially the same micro-switch, so you can salvage them from other mice or buy from Digi-Key, Mouser or whoever your electronic parts supplier is.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

try a 0.1uF across the switch contacts

makolber

Why?

Reply to
Michael Terrell

the 0.1uF provides a crude de-bounce function and also the small arc helps keep the contacts clean. m

Reply to
makolber

I understand that, but it takes time for the capacitor to discharge. How slow of a mouse do you want? Just replace the worn out switches, and let the software in the Mouse controller take care of debounce.e.

Reply to
Michael Terrell