Motherboard boot

I have an ECS Elitegroup motherboard, pentium 4 sometimes boots,and sometimes just a black screen, If boot fails and I just leave it plugged in for a while it sometimes boots than crashes after a few minutes. anyone know what causes this?

Reply to
Ricki from trailerparkboys

Might be bad/leaky caps on the motherboard..

I had this guy fix my epox board about 3 months ago for the same problem

It works great..

Big Brother

in

know

Reply to
Ricki from trailerparkboys

Hi Ricki,

If the board is still under warranty I would just RMA it. If the replacement works fine then problem solved. If not then it's time to ask around here for some ideas.

Carl

"Ricki from trailerparkboys" wrote:

Reply to
Carl Jenkins

Could be a faulty PSU.

--
mistermaniac
Reply to

hi Ricki

from experience, some boards have that kind of problem due to faulty bios issues/memory problems and the like. I would suggest that you try to do a good cleaning of the board along with the memory and ram. I would also suggest that you try flashing the bios to a more recent version so that it will eliminate buggy irq handling problems. :)

goodluck

Reply to
happykamote

sometimes you can weed out the faulty caps by looking in where things get hot around these caps such as voltage reg's on your motherboard. i replaced 2 caps in a p2-266 the other day

2 1000uf 10 volt neer the voltage reg's, due to heat from them, the caps were leaky and upsetting the voltage rails, the system will not boot.

in

know

Reply to
crazy frog

Usually they're bulging too, there was a large batch of capacitors made with defective electrolyte that found their way into all sorts of things for a few years there, seems to be all over with now though.

Reply to
James Sweet