more pointless twaddle about toaster-ovens...

Buying a new toaster oven was a minor learning experience.

Once upon a time, a toaster oven worked like a toaster -- you pushed down on a lever to start the toasting cycle. This feature now exists only on toaster-only toasters. Most toaster ovens now have a timer, marked with various degrees of darkness.

And the controls now apply to everything the toaster-oven does -- one knob sets the temperature (there are specific toaster and broiler settings), another the operating mode (warm, bake, toast, broil), and a third the timer. This takes a moment to get used to, but it's neither illogical nor fundamentally confusing.

I was about to buy a B&D TRO964 ($30 at Fred Meyer), when I noticed that the timer could not be turned backwards. So you couldn't reduce the toasting time (if you've a mind to). I also did not like the all-metal construction; it's too easy to burn yourself.

So I kept looking, and in tar-GET (soft g), I found another $30 B&D, the TRO490, which was similar, but had a reversible timer and a curved (!) window. (I wouldn't be surprised if tar-GET were the only store carrying that particular model.) So I bought that.

How long will it last? Who knows? I'll report back in 20 years.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Remember the old GE toaster ovens? No electronics, lasted 30 years. Usually the most that went wrong with them was the power cord needing replacement. I miss them. :)

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Remember the old GE toaster ovens? No electronics, lasted 30 years. Usually the most that went wrong with them was the power cord needing replacement. I miss them. :)

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Samuel M. Goldwasser

I have an old Tostmaster toaster oven. It has an off/toaster and on switch, a toaster lever and a temp control. The handle on the glass door is broken. It has baked on brown stains all over the inside and outside. It really looks like crap but it still works great. I keep looking at the nice new shiny ones but keep deciding function is better than looks.

--
Claude Hopper          :)

?       ?       ¥
Reply to
Claude Hopper

Google - The King and the Toaster

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Chris

Reply to
Chris A. Kusmierz

My usual answer: Do you have a thrift store nearby?

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

I have taken the covers off , set it in the tub and use oven cleaner to clean it all up . Dry it good before use .

Reply to
Ken G.

A valid question.

I wonder, though, how likely one is to find a _working_ toaster-oven -- particularly a modestly priced one like the GE/B&D -- at a thrift store? Don't people generally toss out such products when they fail? And if they haven't failed, why drop them off at a thrift shop?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

From estates, when the kids have to get rid of everything after a parent dies. A freind of mine just closed his store after seven years, and almost always had one for sale for 5 to 15 dollars.

Another source is a local freecycle group. I see them fairly often, on my local group.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Exactly. Toaster and toaster ovens are also cheap enough to be replaced when minor issues occur, or they just start looking...old.

While I most often pick up useful stuff at thrift stores, I find the same sorts of interesting/useful items--cheap--at yard sales and pawn shops as well.

I used to subscribe to freecycle email. It flooded my inbox and never resulted in getting an item I wanted/needed. I was always too late, so I gave up on them.

The 'free' listings on Craigslist are more managable; but I rarely see anything I want. I do shop CL often, though; and buy a lot of stuff there. Also notable is that my city government runs a surplus auction from where I've bought many times...also GovDeals.com worth looking at.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert