Monostable made from OR gate and CR network , pulse duration ??

Discreet component monostabe constructed from a =91TTL=92 OR gate , resistor and capacitor , Im trying to determine what the pulse width should be from the timing components, but I don=92t see any info on this configuration. I need to certify the cct is in specification .. Its fed with a 0 > 5v step

From a common start point, one line direct to gate (1) input, from the same common start point, a 220 ohm resistor connected to the second gate (2) input.

From the junction of the 220 ohm resistor and the second gate input is connected a 0.0022nF capacitor to ground.

The resistor and capacitor form a cr timing network.

Operation appears to be , the initial 'ON' voltage (5v) is applied direct to gate (1) , the capacitor to ground delays the voltage applied to gate (2) charging via the 220 resistor.

When the two inputs are at logic =911=92 then the =91OR=92 Fnction changes = the gate state .

Im seeing a 650nS pulse , has anyone a formula or a chart that gives a guide to pulse duration ?

Reply to
Graham

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 13:27:10 -0800 (PST), Graham put finger to keyboard and composed:

An OR gate will have an output of 1 whenever input #1 is a logic 1, regardless of what happens on input #2. OTOH, an XOR gate (eg 74LS86) will behave as you describe.

A Motorola SN74LS86 has a guaranteed minimum input high voltage of

2.0V. This means that the output is guaranteed to change state when the capacitor charges up to 2.0V. However, it may also change state at 1.5V, so trying to compute a pulse width would be difficult. All you can calculate with any reasonable certainty is the *maximum* pulse width, although this figure would also be affected by the current draw into or out of the gate.

If we calculate the RC time constant, then ...

R x C = 220 x 0.0022 nF = 0.484 ns

... which is 1000x lower than you have measured.

Are you sure you didn't mean C = 0.0022uF ? This would result in an RC value of 484ns.

The formula for the charging voltage, V, would be ...

-t/RC V = Vo (1 - e )

... where Vo = 5V.

The trigger point would be when V = 2.0V

This reduces to ...

t = -RC ln(1 - V/Vo) = 247ns

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Just a suggestion, but wouldn't it be a whole hell of a lot simpler to just use a 555 timer IC ? Just the chip, two Rs and one C (two Cs if you want to be pedantic and decouple the control pin) to make a monostable which will give utterly predictable results over a wide supply voltage and temperature range, and has a very simple timing formula of approx 0.7CR.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 02:28:57 -0000, "Arfa Daily" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Another option would be a 74LS123. Perhaps the OP's application doesn't require precision, and perhaps he has a spare gate.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Granted. But as you say, the actual thresholds on TTL can vary widely from family to family, which may give a huge discrepancy betwen the figure you think you should get, and what you really do get. OK I suppose if it's just something for yourself, but could cause problems if you were going to do a few of them.

I was thinking also, that the circuit the OP is describing is in fact just a (power on ??) delay with a buffer gate on the end, as there doesn't seem to be any mechanism to reset the timing network after the initial pulse. Unless of course, the OP's "common starting point" is in fact switched between rail and ground. You sometimes used to see tricks like this on older logic boards, to provide a delayed reset to other bits of circuitry such as a CPU IC. These days, they tend to use dedicated reset ICs, which again, give predictable and repeatable results.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:35:28 -0000, "Arfa Daily" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Wouldn't a power-on reset pulse of less than 1us be much too short?

For example, Micrel's MIC2774 Dual Micro-Power Low Voltage Supervisor "generates a 140ms (minimum) power-on reset pulse".

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Yes Franc, I think it would. But then the value of the OP's cap at 0.0022nF seems unrealistically low, as well. I was thinking more in terms of 10k by

0.1uF when likening this to the old reset circuits ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

ll

st

t a

ess

ail

PU

Ok ... Well this birds nest is about 35 years old , your right on the 'tricks' bit , there is more than one set of discreat 'cr's' on the board ,

I did the same calculation , with the long 'cr' time the vlaues given may be attached to the device thats making a 0.125 uS pulse (measured on teck-t 500 mhz dig scope)

CR =3D approx 62% full charge voltage, (5 volts) so i assume the devices are toggeling at the zero to logic 1 transission voltage of the chip ...which is less than 50% rail .... so its going over early ...

Ive not seen any guide lines on expected pulse duration from this arrangement , 125 nano seconds is quite sharp even for the new devices .... looks like , may be the only way is to remove the C , R , components , measure them and if in tolerance then assume that what is measured is correct .... I could look at the charging curve to see when it chnages state .. and work backwards ?

tnx - G ..

Reply to
Graham

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 13:48:53 -0800 (PST), Graham put finger to keyboard and composed:

I calculate that the threshold must be 1.14V. The range from 0.8V to

2.0V would be TTL limbo, at least for the SN74LS86 device I referred to in my earlier post.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Well , I have finally found a referance to the cct, in the handbook for the racal RA1778 hf/rx which uses the cct as a pulse doubling cct after the main tune shaft encoder , you get a output from the leading and falling edge of the main pulse .. states the pulse will be from 0.45 to 1.2 CR ..and gives a wide tolerance .... with cmos logic .so looks like its a 'bodge' works .. looks quite stable

.. the board I have is from the same gang made the same time period ~

1970's

Tnx- G ..

Reply to
Graham