Monitor or video card problem?

My Viewsonic monitor was about 7 yrs old and I was starting to get vertical yellow broken lines about 2" apart. Occasionally the cursor would change to a small black vertical line. I assumed the monitor must be bad, and bought a new one. The new one is acting the same way. Does my video card need to be replaced, or is there an easier fix?

Reply to
fireguy

Does your computer have a video card? Most are on the MB. You could add or replace it and see.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Most? Only the very cheapest boxes have onboard video, the majority of PC's still use a separate video card.

Reply to
James Sweet

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 08:02:08 +0000, James Sweet Has Frothed:

That's incorrect. My Windows XP PC has a top of the line Intel mainboard with LAN/SATA RAID/Hi Definition 5:1 audio/ and Intel Extreme Graphics. My Linux PC has a Biostar mainboard with LAN/SATA RAID/Hi Definition audio/NVidia NFORCE 6100 graphics. Most demanding better graphics for gaming will always buy seperate graphics adapter. However these boards are perfect for CAD, video, audio, photo workstations which is what I use mine for.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Hardly. And he is running a 7 yr old Viewsonic monitor. Not likely to have an extreme video card.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Just guessing... The S3 365 Video card did this if the driver got damaged. W98/ME You must set the video card to use the VGA driver before installing a new one.

HTH

--
Baron:
Reply to

On 11 Nov 2006 20:33:42 -0800, "fireguy" put finger to keyboard and composed:

It sounds like a RAM failure on your graphics card. Have you checked the fan? Otherwise, if you have integrated motherboard graphics, then I'd check the video settings in the BIOS. The graphics subsystem on my old SiS motherboard would misbehave in a similar way if various timings were too aggressive. A hair dryer and freeze spray should narrow down your fault.

- Franc Zabkar

--=20 Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

Reply to
Franc Zabkar

By easier you mean....what?

Really, we're talking about ONE screw and maybe $30 to replace the video card. Well, three screws if your PC case doesn't have quick-release fasteners.

Reply to
Dave