Monitor dies after 5 min?

I have a monitor for computer, 17in, KDS View K780 multi scan from nov

2000. After 5 min, it dies. I disconnect the power cable, wait 5-10 min, it is ok for another 5 min. What component I should look for to repair it?
Reply to
Robijean

On the basis of such a wealth of troubleshooting and diagnostic info, it's hard to say ;-)

It sounds like a thermal fault. I'd guess a capacitor is breaking down when it heats up. Or possibly a marginal solder joint, IC or whatever. It could be just about anywhere if it's a shorting component causing shutdown- switchmode power supplies are designed to shut down under excessive load conditions.

The good news is that thermal faults are often very easy to fix- a can of freeze spray and a heat gun should pinpoint the fault in about 5 minutes. The repair should be straightforward and not very expensive.

OTOH, the flyback/LOPT insulation could be breaking down, which will cost a relative fortune to fix. Are there any symptoms at all prior to it shutting down?

Dave

Reply to
Dave D