modem line takeover?!

Even a soft-modem needs hardware. For example, my new HP computer has a soft-modem and it works through a PCI card, and it is called a PCI soft-modem. Among other things, it has the RJ11 physical connection to the phone line. It is this PCI card that will have the REN and other FCC required info.

I imagine some motherboards could have this functionality so that a PCI card isn't needed, but whether it's a PCI card, or it's on the computer motherboard, it must contain all FCC Part 68 and Part 15 info, or it won't be in compliance with Federal Law.

If it will help, tomorrow I will pull the PCI card and see what info it provides.

What are you using for a terminal program?

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey

hmm, maybe your line in your home is wired backwards and the modem thinks it should be on line? its been so long since i have even used a modem when DSL came out.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

here are the photos

the big lower left transistor is equiv of 2n5550 so I guess replaces the box relay, I wonder if somehow it could be replaced with it

Reply to
j_slobo

Yes, I have this PCI card that's based on a Motorola 'SM56' Chip.

It *should* have yes.

Correct but this isn't the case here. I've had an integrated mobo like that in the past and it worked fine. This issue relates to a PCI card.

Federal Law doesn't count for much in the UK. We have our own laws.

I haven't used the terminal program in ages !

I want to use it for a dial-up PPP account to an ISP !

Graham

Reply to
Arthur Dent

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 19:06:46 -0700, Don Bowey put finger to keyboard and composed:

I don't think you will ever find a desktop motherboard with all the modem bits on it. This is because each jurisdiction has its own telecom authority with its own specific requirements. Imagine if each and every motherboard had to undergo telecom compliance testing in every country in the world.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On 21 Jun 2006 12:04:18 -0700, j snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com put finger to keyboard and composed:

It appears that you may have a "Kobian Mercury HPI56MII Data/Fax PCI" modem:

The two 16-pin chips, and/or possibly the 14-pin chip, appear to be the line side and host side pair/trio of a silicon DAA. The two ceramic caps provide the data path and isolation barrier. There is a protective gap in the PCB underneath them. The line side IC would incorporate the function of the hook relay and signal transformer. The host side IC would, among other things, provide the off-hook/on-hook control signals. In many conventional transformer-based modems, the loop current passes through, and is stabilised by, a Darlington transistor. This may be the function of the 2N5550 (???)

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 02:51:16 +0100, Arthur Dent put finger to keyboard and composed:

A terminal program (eg HyperTerminal) is useful for troubleshooting purposes. For example, most modems respond to diagnostic commands such as AT#UD, AT&V1, AT&V2, AT#UG, and quite a few others. I believe the SM56 is quite good in this regard.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Good point. Once upon a time I even knew a few Hayes commands.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Franc Zabkar =D1=98=D0=B5 =D0=BD=D0=B0=D0=BF=D0=B8=D1=81=D0=B0=D0=BE

thanks for taking a look One confirmation the chips you mention- mot6269352/4 are making up the DAA is the diode attached to its pins probably as flyback for the internal relay. I doubt the diode bridge is relevant since it should be located behind the relay in front of (incorporated) transformer. The resistance at modems line jack is few Kohms(Varistor desoldered) either right away or in case of several other modems only after the modem(out of the PC) grabs the line! ATZ/ATH/ATH1 report ok but do not release the line. I guess somehow smth energizes the relay ..> - Franc Zabkar

Reply to
j_slobo