Mitsubishi VS6015R RPTV no sound or picture; tubes have HV

Happy New Year all, I have been working on this set for quite some time. The first sign of failure was a smoking L8001 on the convergence board. Following s.e.r.'s recommendatins, I started with the SMPS and replaced: both 47uf 50 volt and 47uf 100 volt caps R918 1k 1/8 watt in front of the STRS6301 swapped with a 1k 1/2 watt R903 & R914 270k 1/8 watt replaced with 1/4 watt.

10uf 100 volt cap 47uf 100 volt cap

On main board: C5002 (10uf 50 volt) C542 (220uF 25v) C503 (1uF 250v)

2SD1556 HOT (2 way short) LA7838 vert IC

Reconnected all wires and checked for shorts on the power supply with deflection board. Now instead of 1.2 ohm there is infinite resistance. I was told earlier that I could power up set without convergance board installed, so I did this. TV turns on for about 1 second and then shuts down. Static discharge could be heard from the tubes.

Next, decided to install convergance board, with L8001 jumpered. This time, TV would stay on, but no HV could be heard. Disconnecting the VA connector (i think; main power) would allow set to turn on for 1 second with HV again and then power down. I plugged in VA again and turned on set again. The STK power amp on convergance board was producing heat, but neither of the convergance ICs were. I left the set on for about 1 minute and suddenly I was getting HV. With the lights off, I could see light in the neck of the tube.

I plugged in a VCR and tried to get at least sound. Nothing. Only thing I noticed was a change in pitch of the high voltage when channels or input was changed. With lights off in the room, green and blue tubes would glow briefly if set was turned off and then back on again in about

3 seconds.

Am I still looking at bad caps in this set, or could there be something else wrong? If convergence board isnt installed, should I still get audio?

--
BFriedl
A+ Certified Technician

hello, if you dont mind me asking. If you are not able to repair you

VS-6015R television, might we be able to inquire as making a purchas from you? Our daughter broke the screen on ours other than that i works lovely... a little blurry but other wise fine. My wife is i love with the cabinet that it is made into. Sorry about your trouble none the less.

thnx,

thoma

--
thomas_chance