Mitsubishi PS21869-A Intelligent Power Module

I'm considering purchasing a Fujitsu ART45LUAK/AOT45LJBYL ducted air conditioning system which uses a Mitsubishi PS21869-A Intelligent Power Module chip in the inverter section that drives the compressor.

Here is its datasheet:

I notice that this chip was discontinued by Mitsubishi in Dec 2008. Could these devices be expected to fail during the reasonable lifetime of the machine, and would it be a good idea to obtain a spare ahead of time (57 EUR from

The unit has a 5 year warranty.

I'm also prepared for failures in the ACTPM board which looks like it might provide an active PFC function. Unfortunately it appears to use an LACT33020B chip (potted module?) whose identity is a mystery.

Operating manual:

Service manual (pages 8 & 9):

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

ART45LUAK.pdf

Is this the electronic version of telling an actor to "go break a leg" ?

N_Cook

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 07:36:19 -0000, "N_Cook" put finger to keyboard and composed:

I confess I had to look this up.

===================================================================== "Break a leg" is a well-known saying in theatre which means "good luck". It is typically said to actors before they go out onto stage to perform.

The expression reflects a theatrical superstition in which wishing a person "good luck" is considered bad luck. =====================================================================

So, to answer your question, I try to be prepared for life after warranty. It's not a matter of what to do *if* something fails, but what to do *when" something fails. To this end I try to be as self sufficient as possible, and at the very minimum I try to obtain a service manual at the time of purchase or soon after.

I still have an amp, turntable, and cassette deck that are 35 years old. I bought the service manuals for each, but as luck would have it, all they have ever needed were a replacement stylus, new rubber parts, and a squirt in each of the pots and switches. So I guess that's "breaking a leg" in reverse, ie expecting bad luck and experiencing good luck instead.

I have two wall mounted Panasonic air conditioners that are about 20 years old. They are both still in excellent condition and have never needed repair, aside from a re-gas when a fitting leaked. However, I had to call about a dozen refrigeration mechanics before I could find one who actually turned up. The first one botched the job and didn't return. My latest experience with a ducted system has been just as bad. I called 11 companies/individuals and, of those, only 3 turned up to quote. One was a friend, and another was located some 100km away.

So I'm thinking that it would be prudent for me to be my own mechanic.

BTW, the subject inverter based air conditioner is still a current model, despite having obsolete components:

If I wanted the conventional version, then I would require a 3-phase supply instead of single phase:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

ineltron had written this in response to

: Franc Zabkar wrote: "I notice that this chip was discontinued by Mitsubishi in Dec 2008."

Hi Folks,

sorry - this answer comes really late, I know. But Mitsubishi PS21869 is still in production. Only the leaded version is dead, it was followed by the lead free version PS21869-P. Of course the -P version is fully compatible. Should be the same with the PS21869-AP, where "A" means longer pin version.

Regards, Jochen. ineltron GmbH

------------------------------------- You have urgent needs in high power electronic parts?

Electronics Enthusiasts' Community of the Net Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - sci.electronics.repair - 27017 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to