mits hs-u790 vcr remote question

The Mits hsu790 vcr from the remote appears to be the type where one remote can control two vcr's of that type (vcr-a vcr-b).

Problem is, how do you get one of them to use the "b" side?

I know some other makes you either need to hold a key down on the remote while powering up the unit but this one I can't find any info on.

thanks,

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

My remote for my old mitsubishi VCR had about two hundred buttons on it; two of which selected A and B. I hate to ask, but are you sure you've checked thoroughly for a hard key?

Reply to
Smitty Two

Hmm, what I meant was, how do you set one of the vcr's to work on B from the remote.

Just to clarify, two same model machines (hsu790), in the same room, let's say stacked on top of each other. Right now if you hit the power button on the remote, both turn on, if you hit play, both go into play mode.

How do you set the vcr (either one) only to operate after B is pressed?

I don't have access to the machines and they aren't mine, was a question posed to me over the phone last night and after searching around, couldn't find a (free) copy of the owners manual. The person who has the machines doesn't have a copy either. Surprisingly, even Mits website seems to only go back to 2002 (the machines are circa 1999) even selecting the "archived" area.

Some of the early Sony's had a physical switch (on both the machine and remote) to use the vcr2 or B side of the remote control. Then I remembered one NEC or Toshiba I had used some method like with the machine off and holding down the rec key on the remote while pressing the power button on the machine switched it to use B settings.

He said he looked everywhere on the machine for a switch and there is none, so I'm assuming there is some "wave it over your head and cluck like a chicken" method that isn't obvious to get the vcr itself into the B mode.

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

Make sure the VCR is plugged in, but turned off.

Find the record speed (SP/EP) button. It may be on the front panel or hiding behind a small door. Press and hold this button while you press REW on the VCR (if yours has a jog dial, turn it counterclockwise).

You should see a large "b" display on the panel, indicating the VCR will now respond to VCR-B commands.

You can set it back to "A" by using FF instead of REW in the above steps.

To make the remote send VCR-B commands by default, make sure the TV/VCR slide switch is set to VCR, then press TV/VCR and the number "2" button simultaneously (use "1" to set it back to VCR-A commands).

Reply to
Guest

Thanks for the info but this seems to be the reason he called me asking for clues, the U790 appears to be one of the few machines Mits made that does not have a sp/ep button on it.

When I called him back and read your post to him over the phone, he said he was aware of the sp/ep + rew or ff sequence because another deck of his (beleive it's a U795) works exactly like that.

On the U790, that button is replaced with a volume sound level pot for recording.

But you still get credit for leading to the answer, after I read the part about the display lighting up an A or B when changed, he sort of went silent and said he'd call back in ten minutes.

Turns out when he was doing his trial-and-error prior to calling me the first time, he did run across something that he thought was a display test mode because "something lit up" but continued on playing with buttons.

Anyway, long story short, on the U790 the OTR (one touch record) and the jog wheel to rew or ff changes the remote listening from a to b. So he's all happy now.

thanks,

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

You're welcome, and thanks for posting this info for the U790. Hopefully one for Google's usenet archive.

Reply to
Guest