microwave oven popcorn burn

My microwave (late GE model) for some reason did not shut off via the "popcorn" setting and totally burned a bag of microwave popcorn. The burned smell is overwhelming. The oven still seems to work OK. Any hints on getting the burned smell out? Is the oven likely damaged in any way?

thanks

Reply to
MJH

Try leaving some powder carpet cleaner in it overnight - sprinkle - do not heat.

--
.
.

Baking soda and charcoal briquettes are typical odor eaters.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

I used someone's microwave with a popcorn setting on it too - and it didn't shut off before burning the popcorn. The question may be - how are those functions "timed"? I find that when I use 4 minutes on my own unit - not only does it do well with the popcorn, but shuts off in the alotted time. I've used "popcorn" settings on other microwaves as well with poor results. Why bother!

Reply to
Radiosrfun

Huh? My cheepo microwave makes great popcorn on that setting. No bull ... it really does, time after time.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

I believe you - maybe "I" had a run of goofy ovens!

Reply to
Radiosrfun

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:41:18 -0500, MJH Has Frothed:

Toss a skunk in it for a few minutes.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

I think the "popcorn" timing is a SWAG by some designer. The one thing that does work reliably is the "stop when pops are more than 3 seconds apart" from the popcorn bag itself. For our current oven, that's 2:15 in the winter and 2:20 in the summer - the line voltage is a little lower in the summer with all the airconditioners running...

John

Reply to
John

Besides the other suggestions which work, I boil some water for 5 or so minutes, the steam seems to help clear out the smell.

H. R. Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hi!

One thing that has appeared on microwave popcorn bags in the past few years is a warning to *never* leave the corn popping unattended.

I have a GE oven that is a nice unit in every regard. (It even includes help text that scrolls across the display for every button on it.) Its popcorn function has yet to do anything but cause a bag of microwave popcorn to burn.

A fair guess would be to say that a supposed-to-be-reasonable amount of time is preprogrammed into the microcontroller. I've seen some ovens that let you select a preset (such as dinner plate, muffins, popcorn, soup, etc...) and a portion size. I have not seen an oven that actually claims to have a means of detecting what is inside it and how much cooking time it will require.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Placing an opened box of baking soda in the oven may help. Heating a large quantity of water may also help remove the smell. If you move air through the room while the oven is operating, that should take even more of the odor away. You might also try cleaning the inside of the oven with warm soapy water, multipurpose surface cleaner or glass cleaner in a spray bottle. Unplug the oven before cleaning it.

There's only one real possibility I could see causing damage--if the popcorn bag got to be so overheated that its contents leaked out, they could become burned to the point of becoming electrically conductive. If not cleaned up, this will cause arcing in the oven and possible additional damage.

If nothing escaped from the bag of popcorn, or if you clean it up soon (use gentle instruments and cleaners only--nothing sharp!) there should be no problem.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Look for the word 'Sensor' on it. 2 or 3 manufacturers make these and they work well. Mine (Sharp) will cook a range of sizes automatically although I never use that function, but the other sensor functions work fine.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

"MJH" wrote in news:RMCdnQrEme9zHE7YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

This is in the FAQ:

Jim Land

I know that some older microwave ovens used a humidity sensor to determine how far cooking had progressed; I would imagine newer ones would use that method as well.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

and

means

require.

The manual for my old Panasonic shows a model like you describe. Your supposed to put plastic wrap over the dish. When it gets hot enough to produce enough pressure to open the plastic the moisture release is what stops it. I don't think normal microwave popcorn would have such an abrupt moisture increase. Not saying your wrong, just pointing out it was a drastic abrupt increase in that model from 25years ago.

Reply to
Captain Midnight

That's how my new sensor oven works except it expects you to use popcorn in a bag.

--
.
Reply to

abrupt

in

Bags I use only have a small slot. The size never changes. The new circuitry must be much more sensitive.

Reply to
Captain Midnight

Put the oven in a sack take it back to radio shack and get your money back is better than an odor hack

Reply to
ray13